300tdi Steering Box Adjustment

AdeParko

I'm coming to the end of the suspension/steering renewal on my 300tdi. I've replaced all bushes, rods, ball joints, steering damper, lower steering column c/w uj's, etc.

But I still have free play in the steering wheel

I've tried adjusting the steering box, but it appears to make no difference?

Is there a certain way of doing it? I'm carrying out the adjustment on my own. Loosening the nut, tightening the allen key bolt roughly a 1/4 turn, then tightening the nut back up. Wiggle the lower column or steering wheel and nothings changed :(

I could screw the bolt in quite a bit, to the point where its below the securing nut, but again, no change in steering play at all

Scratching my head a bit on this one, as I was really hoping this was the last thing to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Ade

I've tried phoning Adwest twice already today, left my details on both occassions, but still no call back :(

Just had a look at Paddocks, link below:

http://www.paddockspares.com/parts-and-accessories/land-rover-discovery-1/steering/power-steering-boxes.html

Which one do I go for? Is the outright purchase the same as recon, but you dont send your old one back to them?

Thanks

Ade

Buy the new outright one, recon is basically resealed maybe new bearings and no gaurantee, new is new 12months warranty.

Second that. I bought mine direct from Adwest. Speak to Megan Broadhurst.

http://www.magal.co.uk/customer_relations.html Cheaper than from Paddocks. They delivered mine on their own delivery van free of charge.

I emailed Megan this afternoon, but not heard back yet. Will also try that number in the morning, as the one I tried this morning was different (0118 969 2351), and the woman who answered the phone just took my details and didn't have a clue what I was on about, no one rang back

What delivery like from Adwest? as my MOT is due on Friday

Do there boxes come complete with a drop arm already fitted?

Thanks

Ade

Managed to get hold of the production manager (at last!). They don't have the one I wanted in stock but can knock one up and get it out to me today for delivery tomorrow :D

Turned out to be really helpful once I was able to get past reception onto the right person