roof tent advice

sas pinkie

I am looking at getting a roof tent with the annex that goes beneath and was after others experiences.

What have you guys got and how do you find it.....

I was looking at www.armadillo4x4.co.uk offerings but chatting to A friend, he has suggested to be wary of the cheaper offerings..... I dont have the 2000 grand plus vat for a new howling moon offering, so wondering if anyone has any real hand experience of the cheaper end. Anyone have say a flat dog offering?

Cheers

I'd look for a second hand one and get a better quality one rather than a "cheap" new one. If you keep an eye on forums and ebay they come up fairly regularly. I've seen Howling Moon ones with annexes come up a couple of times in the last month at good prices.

When we bought ours we took a trip to Billing first and it happened to be raining (heavily !) and the first thing you noticed was that ALL the cheap roof tents were soaking wet inside, the mattresses were all wet through. The Howling Moon (which we ended up buying) was completely dry inside and for a tent you intend to use in the UK that's a deal breaker for me.

We've since used ours in almost all weather conditions, from -10C in Scotland in the snow, gale force winds in Cornwall and sweltering heat in Yorkshire last summer and it's been faultless. Even in the gale force winds neither of us could sleep for the wind noise and the 90 rocking with each new gust but when we eventually ventured outside, the tent were intact with all pegs still secure. You really don't want to be side on to gale force winds in a roof tent if you want to sleep though , lesson learned that time, always pitch with the nose of the Land Rover pointing into the wind !

Why a RTT ?

I guess RTT means roof top tent?

if it does then the answer is because it suits my needs. I know and appreciate that people have different opinions and preferences towards them. those opinions are not the ones I am after in this particular thread. I want to find out from those that have, and continue to use them to let me know what brand they have and how they have found them.

has anyone any positive experience from a cheaper brand, or am I going to have to part with £2000 for a positive experience. ....

I've got a 6 year old Prime Tech cheapie RTT which has served me really well, has survived storm force winds, cold, heat, torrential rain, the cover is a bit torn now and needs a bit of sewing when it comes out of storage this spring. I've spent about 70 nights in it so far without problem.

I've got a 6 year old Prime Tech cheapie RTT which has served me really well, has survived storm force winds, cold, heat, torrential rain, the cover is a bit torn now and needs a bit of sewing when it comes out of storage this spring. I've spent about 70 nights in it so far without problem.

Good to hear that as i bought a similar one at the weekend!

I Have an armadillo4x4 roof tent and it is fantastic, build quality is great, although maybe slightly thinner than the £2-3K versions it can definately handle everything i have thrown at it and the chaps at armadillo are very helpful indeed, i have just ordered 3 more RTTs of them for some friends ready for and overlanding adventure :)

also the big plus i like is that the ladder doesnt fold or slide but instead is telescopic meaning i can mount on a roof on the pick up on a trailer anywhere and the ladder works right

Not that it means much, but are myway even made in South Africa? Haven't seen any for sale there. Thought they were generic Chinese made tents as seen on alibaba.

My own experience has been that European tents stand up very well to rain, while eazyawn etc leak and don't seem to stand up to inclement weather so well. But thats only the ones I've been in, there are lots of different models/materials.

Not that it means much, but are myway even made in South Africa? Haven't seen any for sale there. Thought they were generic Chinese made tents as seen on alibaba.

My own experience has been that European tents stand up very well to rain, while eazyawn etc leak and don't seem to stand up to inclement weather so well. But thats only the ones I've been in, there are lots of different models/materials

Definitely made in South Africa, think they are owned by camp cover now

Very good quality tents,you wouldn't be disappointed on inspecting one

Waterproof, comfortable and lightweight

Ours gets used most weekends through the summer with my 2 boys

One of my best buys apart from the 110 its bolted to

Check out the website or send them an email

Hope this is some help

I can tell you for one I never look in here, I read international as people over seas, not a general chat. notice how an over zealous moderator has moved my post without informing me as to the fact it was being moved or why, and then doesnt even reply to my question asking why!

this forum is going down the tube.... tbink I will be off else where.

The international forum is used for general discussion not necessarily related to a specific model. It's where most of the activity on lr4x4 happens, and therefore you will get a better response

Calm down on your outrage, someone is trying to help you get more answers/reach a wider audience. Perhaps the moderator in question has not noticed your comments on this thread regarding it's move, perhaps they have a life outside of their unpaid moderation of this forum and haven't been online since, who knows

Chill out a bit and loose the attitude, no one is doing you a disservice here :)

Continuing on the discussion but maybe without the original poster; I've been an rabid anti RTT for many years, having tried out most of the brands and found out just how poor they are in really windy weather and because of the enormous weight issues...

BUT

I'm a great fan of the Maggiolina (apart from spelling it) due to it's excellent wind resistance, ease of modification and it's relatively low weight - loving the Kevlar one...

BUT

I would have to sell two of my kids to buy one...

So

I've acquired a French made 'clam shell style' RTT like a Maggiolina but made from vac formed nylon. yes it's French; and yes it's old, but all the working bits are sound and it was free. The material is not only rotten but is so 70's even Nige wouldn't have it for curtains in his downstairs toilet. So I found a lady who works for the local camping outfitters who has a big sewing machine and I'm going to get her to make up a new material section, let in the old windows and door. Then I'm going to clad the interior of the hard shell with closed foam insulation. The whole unit, when closed is slightly lower than a brown church roof rack and a tadge longer than a aforesaid roof rack for an 88". This means that with a small amount of fabrication I have a decent sleepy time pod that is nicely protected when closed, warm and snuggly, light weight, wind resistant and cheap as chips...