discovery 200 tdi upgrading the turbo

muddy4x4xfar

I would ask the same question. The turbo should produce around 12psi at full throttle on a gradient, measured at the wastegate tee.

I rebuilt my 200Tdi at 230k miles, I've owned it from new, and I am getting correct pressure and good performance with the original

turbo.

I stripped it and cleaned it up a bit but it was in really good nick and I needn't have bothered. I can't see you getting much out of an

"upgrade".

I've driven a 110 with a 200Tdi and VGT. It was okay. Went well, used a lot of fuel compared to my own 200Tdi all in all was a bit of a disappointment... Silly money as well

A 200Tdi that has been set up well, with a standard turbo, is a delight, same goes for a 300

I've always wondered why people want a 2.5ltr turbo charged, intercooled engine, designed in pre-history, to perform like something it's not and never really will be. A mild tweak of the pump, a little adjust of the waste gate and a slightly bigger 'cooler is all that is needed, at most

The point of the VNT is to get boost at a lower rpm and reduce a lot of the turbo lag. It does not increase power. No matter how you tune the engine, the stock turbo will always have a lot of turbo lag. Adding a VNT should not hurt your engine. Just keep the boost down below 15 psi or so.

Fit a boost gauge and a exhaust gas temperature gauge to monitor things and adjust the fueling up a bit for more power.

The point of the VNT is to get boost at a lower rpm and reduce a lot of the turbo lag. It does not increase power. No matter how you tune the engine, the stock turbo will always have a lot of turbo lag. Adding a VNT should not hurt your engine. Just keep the boost down below 15 psi or so.

Fit a boost gauge and a exhaust gas temperature gauge to monitor things and adjust the fueling up a bit for more power.

Thats what i understand. The silly thing is though, my 200 is great off boost and fine on it too. I'd like more top end, but that means a bigger turbop amongst other things and then that leads to more lag...

Even stranger is that my 200 is much much better than my TD5 off boost.

A 200/300 tdi is a 8 valve engine with a non cross flow head so you will struggle to get top end power as it cannot move the gasses quick enough. A td5 is also a 2 valve per cylinder but it has a cross flow head so it will make more power higher up the rev range as it can move the gasses more efficiently.

I've driven a few 300's and 200's and what I have noticed is that the 2 Camel Trophy vehicles I own (200tdi 110 with 92K on it and a 300tdi Disco with 150k on it) both of these vehicles pull like trains, and thats standard set-ups and carrying a lot of extra weight mainly in the form of the roll cages and roof racks.

The thing that sticks in the back of my head with regard to these two vehicles is that they went from factory production line, to pretty much full on gut wrenching offroad conditions hence pretty demanding engine load conditions, which goes back to the age old debate on running engines "in" and the longevity consequence of the very first few 100/1000 miles these engines do. Without any real supporting evidence other than what I've seen and know of with regard to these 2 vehicles, its just something I've observed.

back to topic, if you have the money/inclination you can give it a go, but recognizing realistic limits of the engine is quite important with such changes I think.

I currently have 2 200TDi vehicles, a Disco and a 110. Both engines are more or less standard, the 110 has a set of Zeus timing gears and is a lot heavier than standard (winch bumper etc). It was used as a working vehicle - the standard engine is fine, accept that a Landrover is never gonna be a tarmac burner, it's a plodder, the peak torque was designed for low down grunt off road, standard engines are under stressed , leave it that way for longevity and reliability.

All LR Camel vehicles were assembled in SVO. They were pretty much re-built mechanically as they needed to be as good as possible and not fail in the eye of the world's press; especially under the utter beasting that they were given.

But I think you have something on this whole 'running in' thing...