Xbrake issue

mikec

The plastic bit is part of the service kit which is about £15 from Foundry4x4.

However, if it's just the little peg that holds the pad in place, you are better off without it! Just follow the instruction booklet and stick the pads in place with Silicone Sealant. The little plastic peg makes little difference to its operation.

Si

Glue in both pads.

However, the plastic bit looks a bit more broken than just the pin breaking off. I think you're going to have to replace it. It's worth servicing occasionally and replacing all the seals & grease (all of which come in the kit).

Just ask for an X-Brake Service Kit.

The pads are a bit pricey - but you can get them re-lined. Get the re-liners to use 3mm thick sintered material. I had a set done for about £10

Si

To save starting a new thread, could anyone tell me the diameter of the X brake rotor (disc) I'm making up an underdrive that is a little larger in diameter than the Ashcroft unit and it would foul on the standard brake drum. I can adapt a smaller Series handbrake assembly, but looking at other options.

Is it plausible to cross-drill the drum? I can't imagine he shoes put a great deal of pressure on the drum. A single 8mm hole at 90 degree intervals, staggered in distance from the rim to allow debris to be swept out easily by the leading edges of the shoes should allow for use in mud.

Is it plausible to cross-drill the drum? I can't imagine he shoes put a great deal of pressure on the drum. A single 8mm hole at 90 degree intervals, staggered in distance from the rim to allow debris to be swept out easily by the leading edges of the shoes should allow for use in mud.

Though this is OT I have a comment on this, my Brother had the exact same thought once, and while stripping his vehicle of unnecessary weight he drilled multiple holes in his handbrake drum. Great idea we both thought and it had no ill effects on everyday use. But when going offroad? Blimey it was bad, even driving in dry sand it would now pack up the drum and not before long he changed back to an unaltered one. In reality I think, the more closed a drumbrake setup is the better. Probably why the C303's have a clever rubber lip with steel balls in it that closes when going slow (ie mud and offroad) and opens up to avoid wear and aid cooling when going fast. Of course if go fast through mud or do a lot wheelspinning it will be no good..

Foundry, for some reason has problems with email - I think because of the volume they receive. Contact them by phone or even on send a message on Facebook and you get a fantastic response, but less quick by email.

I appreciate that's not ideal for everyone - but one or the other above should get you what you want.

Si

Just for the record, I'll tell you the problem with UK companies & email. When I was running a company by myself, selling on line and over the phone, I received between 200 & 300 emails per day, all of which expected a response within a couple of hours. Even when I spent every spare moment answering them - some took days. Thankfully most people were understanding, but a few became quite vective about a response taking 24h. If there was something I could have done to fix it, I would have in an instant - but it was impossible!

The size of the UK market for 4x4 bits, even selling to Europe and occasionally to the rest of the world is so small that the economics don't justify a team of people (or even just one) answering email all day. When the phone rings, you have to answer it now - but it's very easy to get behind on email as it does not demand an immediate response.

If you are emailing a small company - give them a break by not expecting the response you'd get from a big company. If you need an answer now - phone up.

Si

Answering an email is much less time consuming than talking on a phone. The trick is to have your online store well setup so that everything is obvious and people are not asking question all the time or needing help wither by phone or email. I know a few people running small businesses and they manage...

Being in Canada, phoning the UK is not simple with the time difference. If I call and tie up the person for 15 minutes, they could have responded to 10 emails instead.

Here is an example. I wanted to buy something from a UK vendor the other week. I was happy with it and just wanted to go ahead and pay. The online store was not setup to figure out shipping to Canada, but allowed the order to go through. The guy sent three emails before finally sending a shipping price. He then needed me to phone and give CC details to complete the order. A business can't make money spending that much labour on one order.

This is 2014. It is easy to automate it all so that all he needed to do was package and label it.

Every time someone sends an email asking the same question, put it on the website.

Answering an email is much less time consuming than talking on a phone.

That's true - but when the phone is ringing as well and you have more parcels to pack than you can do in the hour before the courier arrives plus your VAT return to sort out, ordering new stock, chasing suppliers & designing new stuff, the email is the first one to slide.

Having your on line store set up well helps so long as the well set up store does not generate more sales as even with a good store, the email volume is still proportional to sales volume. I spent a lot of time writing FAQ's, good instructions and putting as much info on line as I could. The emails received were mostly from people who had not looked at them or just wanted the reassurance of communicating with you.

You're right - you manage. You have to. But in 10 years I didn't take a single day off - and I was still behind.

Try it yourself!

I agree with red and I'm not having a go at foundry or anyone in particular but if a company sells an item out it in the web store with the price, that's another pet hate web stores without prices. That way the web store works as it should an no email or phone call is generally needed