300Tdi headlining, pickup, how difficult?

pgrbff

The headlining in my pickup is looking very sad. It has multiple rusty staples and at some stage I would like to replace it. Looking through other threads there appear to be two(?) alternatives to an original, although I hate to think how much it will cost to ship to Italy.

How is the headlining held in place?

It appears some may be easier to fit than others but will probably need more than one pair of hands to fix?

Yes, fairly easy but two sets of hand are required. First remove said headling, not so hard, make a note of the location of the various type of screws and clips, hand grabs etc.

Remove the old lining off the mould, wire brush off all the original glue and wash down with acetone, I used 2 lires.

I used very thin marine carpet as a replacement cover, its hard wearing and can be moulded.

You will need about 5 litres of good quality contact adhesive for a Discovery size roof and a piece of marine carpet 2.5 x 3 mtres

Hire a steam blower, these are normally used to remove wall paper.

Apply the contact adhesive to the mould and the underside of the carpet.

Gently lower the carpet onto the mould and working from the centre out wards and using the steam blower fix the carpet to the mould stretching and moulding the carpet to the lroof ining mould, try a test piece first as exessive heat, even steam can melt the carpet fibres.

Make sure you wrap the carpet over the lining mould edges.

Wait until the glue has set before you trim off the excess.

Turn the mould upside down and with a sharp slanley knife (box cutter) cut out the screw holes in the carpet to match those in the mould.

Now, to relocate the lining into the car, apart from your assistant I used a jack to hold up the mould while I refitted the screws and fixtures, some are absolute sods to locate. If yours is like mine (Disco) start from the back forward as the rear lip above the back door helps in holding up the lining the next were the two large plastic pins above the passenger seats, the hand grabs and the front was last.

I used black/dark gray marine carpet and it looks great.