300tdi auto edc not starting

basquen

The engine cut out yesterday whilst off-road in the woods. Plenty of water splashing up into the engine bay but nothing too dramatic. I've had this vehicle for 4 years with no problems evening after deep wading. My first thought was a dodgy/wet connection to the fuel cut-out solenoid connection but a direct feed to the it made no difference. I've tested the solenoid out on the bench and it's OK. Just to be sure I removed the spring and plunger and tried starting that way. Still no joy so it's clearly not the solenoid.

I can draw diesel using the lift pump (at least as far as the filter bleed). Next step is probably to crack open the feeds to the injectors to see if the diesel is getting that far.

I was wondering if the the throttle sensor could be playing up. The pedal runs smooth to about 3/4 travel then there is a hardness. To be honest I thought the footmat was getting caught at first. It's a pain to even get a glimpse at this part because it's buried up behind the fuse box. I'll try and investigate some more.

All dash lights are working as normal, all fuses checked, ... This is a japanese import so no alarm spider to worry about.

Frustratingly I don't have access to any diagnostic testing.

hi i had an auto disco on a 1996 went through water it cut out there is a cluster of wires under the pump i used lots of wd 40 and it started and coughed splittered and after drying it out it was ok hope this helps that is if its not cambelt

I've now seen through the oil fill that the rockers aren't moving when turning over the engine so it looks like it's the cambelt.
Last changed 11 months ago / approx 14,000km so it was the last thing I was expecting! :angry2: