Twin Battery Options?

Hi,

The battery in my 90 is getting a bit tired - currently it's got what I believe to be a 90Ah Disco battery (it's branded LR but I can't remember the part number off the top of my head) fitted under the passenger seat with a custom battery clamp.

I'm likely going to be fitting a winch (just for self recovery, not anything particularly taxing!) at some point soon, so am considering going twin battery, with a split charge system of some form. The landy is only used occasionally, so hopefully I can power the 'always on stuff' like the alarm off the second battery and not have it go flat when left, and also I'll likely also have it set up to use the second battery for lights when camping)

What's the recommended setup? I've read on here differing opinions about a big single battery if the winch is only for occasional use, to two smaller batteries with split charge, to exotic stuff like twin sealed batteries..

Any thoughts? If one big battery will do me fine then that's probably going to be the cheapest / simplest options (and just use common sense when camping!).

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Jon

I would recommend a pair of Odyssey batteries. If you go to the website you can download a spec sheet which includes external dimensions>

Then a split charge system. I recommend having one with individual battery display. The T-Max one is probably one of the cheapest, with display. Worked well for several years on my disco until I sold it.

I'm prepared to spend what's necessary - whatever will get the job done without going overboard - so if two standard batteries are OK and I don't need optimas etc I'd save the cash for when something else inevitably needs fixing! ;)

Jon, if it's just for very occasional winch use, then I would just fit one big battery m8, you don't need anything more complicated than that.

Have a look at Tayna batteries who sell Numax batteries at decent prices.

HTH

Mo

You can get in two group 34 in the case or one big one. You might be able to get bigger ones than 34 in but height is the issue for the rear one. If you want to winch you'll need a big relay for connecting them. I got a T-max 250amp.

I'd follow the advice and go BIG and go single and don't bother with a split charge or dual battery setup.

We've been using Sheild batteries of late, for both vehicle and off-grid solar stuff, and they're great. Really good pricing too, and being in Yeovil we can just drop in and ask about specific uses, as they're very knowledgable. They have a few branches around the country, but I don't know if there's one specifically near you.