Squeak from near waterpump. How to tell what it is?

Hi.

There's a squeal on the TD5, coming from the waterpump area. Is there any way to tell what it comes from, without taking the belt off, and all that entails?

The last owner said that it'd been changed not too long ago, so can anyone recommend a make that won't break the bank, but will last more than a few thousand miles?

Thanks guys

I had a squeal, chirp noise on my 300tdi. after a long time I found out what it was.

The bearing on the tensioner pully, dont know about td5 but worth a check.

It turned by hand with no noise but the bearing was siezed and it was spinning on the shaft.

Tensioner or idler pulley I would guess, and my theory is that once the bearings in these start to wear, their alignment goes slightly out of kilter, and causes a bit of belt shuffle, which is what you can hear normally...............If that make sense ?

Its normally a chirp chirp chirp noise, and seems to get better once things have warmed up ?

I got a quality belt and bearing from fleeBay for just under £17 for the 300tdi and changed it in less than an hour.

The worst bit was getting thr retaining clip off the pulley, used a Dremil and a small grinding wheel to make a small slot the get a screw driver behind the clip, cup you hand over it as it will fly,,,,