Cut sidewall or cracked?

Drove my car to work today and then noticed that my passenger side front tyre sidewall has a cut or crack in it.

From the picture what would you think it is? Not taken the car off road and not hit any curbs with a great speed. Maybe bumped up on one but that's it.

Also from the location how dangerous is it to drive on?

They are General Grabber AT2 235/70 R16 T tyres and was told they were brand new or almost brand new when I bought the car 3/4 weeks ago.

The cut/crack looks like a clean cut to me. Just not deep enough or far enough in flatten the tyre.

Cheers

S

That's a cut to me and a fairly good ones as I would expect to see on a rocky Greenlane or similar.

Not sure I believe that the tyres were nearly new when you acquired them as there is some cracking beginning to appear in the tread block you can see.

Kind regards

I have a feeling they weren't used before but probably sat around for a while collecting dust. It's not been off road at all. Well pulling up into a grass verge to let someone pass on a single track road.

Could it have been a knife cut? Hoping someone doesn't have anything against me or my car but if they do I will need to invest in some CCTV!

S

Yeah that's what did cross my mind but I'm struggling to work out how else it happened. Not had my car long enough to brave it off road!!

Thanks for your opinion! Might stick a camera up just incase!

S

Whatever the cause, I'd be replacing it.

Tyres are cheap - having one explosively disassemble itself in the outside-lane of a major Motorway during friday evening rush-hour is likely to be horribly expensive, specially if your insurers were to discover you were already aware of a tyre-defect and continued to drive on it.

--

Dr. Cyclops says: Do not look into Laser-beam with remaining eyeball.

Your joking. That tyre is nowhere near new or unused. Look at the tread roots, and the side lugs AND the sidewall at the bottom of the picture. That has been seriously rubbed against a kerb or something, and the nicks and lumps out of it and the way the tread is worn suggest to me it has had some serious use.

The tread depth looks a fair bit worn from new too..........................