RR Classic shakedown run ( NUMBER 2 )

coachman

:wacko: I have somehow lost my last text ,but being a bit `trigger happy` / short sighted / computer usage naff ,I shall start again.`

I have now had the RR Classic for 12 months ,it is now M.O.Td and road worthy ,so a shake down run was on the cards .

The car had not been driven for 5 yrs so the shake down was to be done with trepedition .

I had kept my son in touch of developments via e-mailed photo`s ,and he was eager to see it .

I also had enlisted the technical help of Paul Atkinson ,he is the RR Register tech guru .

To attain a little originality I managed to find where the car came from 18 yrs ago ( supplier ),they arranged for me to pick up `dealer `stamped number plates ,tax disc holder ,rear screen sticker .

So filled with LOTS of fuel and oozles of confidence I set off .

First came the dealers in Liecester STURGESS LAND ROVER JAGUAR ,( the `F` type JAG is a peach .

Second came Paul in Halesowen ,( I made the mistake of going through Brum instead of following my sat nav ( it looked shorter on the map ). Paul showed me his workshop ,he only has 12 RR Classics .

Time was not on my side ,so I had to leave Paul and his wife .

Onward and south ward ,I arrived in Plympton ( nr Plymouth ) 350 cosseted ,faultless ,miles later .

While there I visited some of Devons beauty spots ,( quite difficult access by car sometimes ,so beware .)

I returned home a week later I experienced very little /few problems to say the vehicles last few yrs .

On returning home I had covered 740 miles ,(I still have to calculate the mpg ,but I do not feel it was THAT BAD .)

NOW THEN what I have experienced is a distinct tightening of the steering and `skipping /skidding `from the front tyres on SLOW TURNING /CORNERING. ( manouvering ,parking .)

I think the transmission Viscous Coupling is seized .

Does anyone agree and where can I get the part ,does it have to be new ,spurios ,or OE , or is that just common sense .

Coachman .

Congratulations!

I can't wait to get mine on the road, I am hoping by the end of the year.

Re your viscous coupling, I would talk to Paul. I know he uses someone who reconditions them, cheaper than a new one I think from memory. I did discuss it with him at one of the RRR meetings. I already had a second hand unit to fit on mine so I didn't go down that route. However I think I will eventually get my partially seized one fixed for a spare. My spare coupling came with a free second hand auto box and transfer box for the same price as a second hand vicous coupling sells for on ebay.