D2 fuel leak

reb78

Parked up earlier in the discovery and realised diesel was dripping from around the area of the fuel filter by the tank on the chassis in the rear drivers side wheel arch. A closer look and it doesn't appear to be from the filter, must be the pipe work. I was clean for work so wasn't able to take a closer look earlier, but I seem to recall this is a common site on the TD5? Any ideas where the leak is actually from? I presume it's either the feed or return pipe?

Parked up earlier in the discovery and realised diesel was dripping from around the area of the fuel filter by the tank on the chassis in the rear drivers side wheel arch. A closer look and it doesn't appear to be from the filter, must be the pipe work. I was clean for work so wasn't able to take a closer look earlier, but I seem to recall this is a common site on the TD5? Any ideas where the leak is actually from? I presume it's either the feed or return pipe?

Reb

I had a leak from mine. It turned out to be the feed- pipe rubbing on the chassis which put a small leak. The fuewl pump forced the fuel out at a vast rate. Even a pin hole will leak a lot of fuel with the pressures involved.

Thanks chaps. I found a bit of info on those pipes including a tech archive thread by Les on replacing them. I'm gutted I have to drop the tank - at least it's only a quarter full!

It seems that most recommend racing all four pipes whilst the tank is off rather than just the green one. Would you all agree with that?

Thanks chaps. I found a bit of info on those pipes including a tech archive thread by Les on replacing them. I'm gutted I have to drop the tank - at least it's only a quarter full!

It seems that most recommend racing all four pipes whilst the tank is off rather than just the green one. Would you all agree with that?

Whilst I had the drop the tank the job was not as bad as I thought. I was lucky in some respects because the tank was out last year when I replaced the chassis. What I did to repair the pipe was to cut it and splice it with rubber hose and two jubilee clips. Did the job perfectly.

Whilst I had the drop the tank the job was not as bad as I thought. I was lucky in some respects because the tank was out last year when I replaced the chassis. What I did to repair the pipe was to cut it and splice it with rubber hose and two jubilee clips. Did the job perfectly.

I was thinking of perhaps repairing like you suggest rather than replacing. I guess if the rubber hose is a tight enough fit, then it should work fine.

I'm sure there was a recall action on that - it sounds as if a lot were not done

I read a couple of mentions of a recall. Do they expire, or is it worth me contacting land rover. If it is, is the local dealer the best point of contact, or somewhere centrally to the company?

• 4 weeks later...

The disco is fixed. Turned out to be the green pipe as mentioned in a few threads. The really stupid thing is that the replacement set of pipes, from land rover themselves, came with absolutely no protection at all on that green pipe, so I had to add my own (pinched the covering from there old pipes). They also didn't include the plastic clips that clip into the fuel pump, so I had to prise them off of the old pipes to reuse them! Pretty poor for nearly £120 of unimproved design which, if fitted out of the bag is ready to fail pretty quickly!