xyz switch

jibbyman

Another thought, at least 2 types of diagnostic kit that I know of,(Snap On and Autodiagnos ) will show WXYZ values as invalid even on a healthy car.Testbook I know reads them properly as I've been using it on them for 11 years.... The autobox ecu will log the same gear position monitoring fault if the wiring loom rubs through where it goes over the back of the transfer box.It would be well worth checking if this is the case before believing dodgy diagnostic data.

Just been back to the garage heres what come up on the diagnostics.

Dtc (3)

11 can bus time out

Plausibility

Continues fault

Of Can level monitoring

Plausibility

Continues fault

Oe Position switch monotoring

Continues fault

Have not a clue what this means except is my xyz switch faulty ? Cheers

From the way your post is laid out its clear to me the garage are using an aftermarket diagnostic tool. The first two faults relating to the Can bus are because the autobox ecu is failing to send messages to the engine ecu about gear position.This is because it isn't receiving plausible info back from the WXYZ switch.

Have you checked the wiring loom for rubbing on the back of the transfer box,if it has it will log EXACTLY the same faults and behave in the same way.

No need to do that,its easier to look up from underneath - no dismantling needed.

Another thought,try starting it in neutral rather than park,then go straight into drive,if you don't get the flashing M + S lamps then its likely the WXYZ switch as they usually fail on the reverse contacts,starting in N and going to D misses the bad contacts and the ecu's are happy.... Should have said before,but its still a free test with no spannering.

Will get under and have a good look if I fit lol .my only issue is It only goes into limp home mode when im driving and using the heater fan on setting 3 or above .I have moved condensation pipes so it seems power related or is this just a symptom .

Certainly sounds like something to do with power supply,the heater fan takes quite a lot of current.A good basic check around of battery terminals,fusebox connections etc is first port of call.Dont forget that circuits need earthing as well as power.Do check that loom over the transfer box though.

Had a look at the loom over transfer box ,do I need to cut off the protective seething as all seems ok ? .Other points when the box changes gear from first to second the stereo losses power momentarily .

Now the story is unfolding, there is way more info now than your first post. What was done to the vehicle before this concern started?

There are earths under the vehicle as well. What does the earth look like that goes to the engine and gearbox? are they good and clean and secure.

Had vehicle about five years no problems this has gradually got worse if I switch on anything electrical lights flickered was not sure if theese were connected .86000 miles on clock ,drives and starts great its just I have to use the fan on less and less power and has started going in limp home mode itself intermittently .where is the earth on the gearbox so I can check .Big thanks for interest Steve .