Use of D2 ACE anti-roll bar

missingsid

Hi,

So this started off as I did not know what ACE was, then I found ACE on anti-roll bars on fleabay at £50.

post-1119-0-13267700-1396708475_thumb.jpg

These are complex bits of kit to control lean etc by adding pressure on to the axle etc.

post-1119-0-71329800-1396708576_thumb.jpg

So as this works by allowing the anti-roll bar to hinge at one end and is controlled by a ram this could possibly be used as a simple on off switch for an ARB to be added to Defender etc?

What I thought was that by connecting the two ram ports directly together with an electric line lock in the middle like so

post-1119-0-64632200-1396708771_thumb.jpg

Then with the link lock closed the hydraulic fluid would lock the ram in place and the ARB would function (on road) off road the line lock would be opened and the ram would move negating the ARB function.

The issues I could see are:

The ACE ARB is not a torsion bar at all and requires active pressure from the pump to resist roll?

The ARB is too strong for a lighter vehicle?

Vehicle would need to be on flat land before reactivating lock to ensure ram is central.

As road use would be line lock locked a normally closed solenoid would be required.

So far what I think is the case is that the ACE ARB is a hollow torsion bar so it's size is misleading?

An alternative is that if the ARB is just a solid bar to exert force on the axle and not a torsion bar then you could have the same set up as above but with a restrictive parallel circuit to the low resistance path with the line lock.

Line lock open the ARB unrestricted movement for off road articulation, line lock closed and the path would be through a high resistance path limiting the speed of roll?

Does the panel think this is viable or potentially dangerous as it changes the dynamics of the existing vehicle?

Marc.

I just put a front and rear pair in the scrap bin on Friday after looking at them for a good while thinking I must be able to use these for something fun. I then thought I just don't have the spare time get them gone before you start another crazy money pit overly complicated enhancement.

I have considered this too, if you were to run a 3 link or 4 link, it would be possible to get your car stable, but still have very good articulation. What it does on a discovery with radius arms all round is a bit lost on me though. Also, they look very heavy to me, can anyone enlighten us? Exactly the same type of setup has been run on WRC cars for a while, then it got banned. It would make an interesting project, link them together back and front and add a pressure accumulator to both lines, then spend decent time setting it up.

Rob,

Yes they do look a bit on the heavy side, probably much more than required for my use?

Daan,

You're so far past me I'd not even cosidered that!

I had a quick look at the RR Sort version which is thinner and uses a rotary actuator but don't know how that compares in action?

Marc

• 8 years later...

I think the concept of adaptation of an ACE system wouldn’t work as it is only connected to one side and needs the ram to move to create enough force to be effective.  A passive system would need a full torque bar system to both ends of the axle.  I can’t say I like how ACE works - it’d be pushing the axle down in one direction of turn and pulling it up in the other direction.  A disconnecting antiroll bar like the X-Deflex is a far better and more reliable solution, and it may be possible to adapt the idea to a front unit using cranked arms to make way for the steering motion of the front wheels.