OT ....write off levels and info

need4speed

Non-landy related topic. Mods please feel free to remove if you feel the need....

However.....

Ive been looking at a car that has been recorded as a Cat C damaged/repaired. Am i correct in thinking that the owner should have a certificate from VOSA detailing what damage was done, and that it was repaired to a required standard?

Thanks in advance guys.

no !

The V5 will be annotated that it was subject of claim . Vosa do not check that it was repaired correctly , other than it will be inspected at MOT . Vosa only do a V I C to see that it was still the vehicle that had been subject of a payout. (VIC is Vehicle identity check ) , they then inform DVLA who will supply the V5 . BTW VOSA is no more its now DVSA HTSH

Not always the case strangely. My car was hit from behind last year and written off as a cat c. However, i was never asked to have it vic checked and never received a replacement log book. (Maybe because it was very minor damage on a very cheap car, i.e. only written off because value was so low but damage was barely even visible). When i sold it on i told the new owner it had been written off but as i say i had nothing to prove it had been. I know the guy i sold it to and he tells me the new logbook makes no mention of it either...

I have had 2 cat C vehicles through my hands recently, both water damaged.

Both fully stripped out and decontaminated cleaned and dried properly using drying ovens, contaminate swab tests for residual bugs etc, electrics checked/tested/replaced as necessary, both back on the road without any subsequent faults.

No accident damage of any description yet a cat C designation from the insurance company.

There is a lot of ignorance around water/flood damage, it's all a matter of degree, insurance companies are very black or white on the matter, whereas a self insuring leasing company will dispose of a flood damaged vehicle without giving it a cat.

One had a replacement engine as it had hydraulic induction failure & cracked block.

The other just flooded to above the sills, required a replacement seat belt module for the airbag system and a reset by main dealer.

Both checked by VOSA as it was then.

An inspection of about 40 minutes to check the vehicle is not made up from several motors.

They are thorough and knowledgable.

A £20k car for £10k, good outcome if you know what you are doing and keep your cars for a few years.

John