Daf Leyland T244 Tran Turner 5Spd Upgrade Suggestion

ellebal

Hello everyone...I need to pick some of you, gear heads, about a Daf Leyland T244 (military) conversion I intend to do...The t244 is hopelessly under geared for highway use, 2700 rpm for 50 mph...I want to swap the Turner (Spicer?) T5-350 5 spd transmission to something with the same low 1th gear (7:1 ratio) but with an overdrive or 6th speed to lower the engine RPM for highway use...Turner's 5th gear is a 1:1 ratio...I would love to put a ZF automatic transmission with the dry clutch...but it will be hard to sacrifice the crawling 1st gear manual advantage...any suggestion??

A Dana spicer T5X has a .75:1 5th gear. Ratios very similar to the Land Rover R380. I have used this gearbox on my cummins converted 110.

Its originally from the Leyland roadrunner 7.5 tonne and think the leyland t244 is a 4 tonne truck?

I have just searched the web for a pic of the box and it looks identical to my Spicer T5X externally but with different ratios.

Does your T244 have a remote transfer box?

Any pics so I can compare with my gearbox?

I have just read the write up above, that spicer box looks the same as the units fitted to the leyland roadrunner apart from yours being top loading and the road runners being front loading.

If you can find a Spicer T5X it will be a straight swap looking at the pictures and comparing them to my gearbox, £250-300 and you have the .75:1 5th gear.

I have just read the write up above, that spicer box looks the same as the units fitted to the leyland roadrunner apart from yours being top loading and the road runners being front loading.

If you can find a Spicer T5X it will be a straight swap looking at the pictures and comparing them to my gearbox, £250-300 and you have the .75:1 5th gear.

Thanks a bunch guys for all your help!! I knew I was on the right post even though it is for land rover enthusiast!! I did some research and was planning to install a Eaton Fuller 6 speed overdrive medium duty transmission (FSO 6406A... 7.05 to .78 ratio) and changed the engine with another 5.9 cummins equipped with a turbo intercooler with T7100 in line Bosch injection pump (200HP)...(engine need to be changed since the intercooler has a coating on the top of the pistons to prevent melting) but I like the ZF Z6-36/2 speed set up. I tried to find out what the ratio was on line but cold not find this particular model, and wonder what the 2 speed is all about. Since I have a 20,000lbs winch on the existing Spicer/Turner transmission I will have to see if I can get a hydraulic pump PTO mounted on the ZF... I'll try to contact Tom at Overland...The negative is that I may have to get this transmission shipped to Canada...$$$$

Was is the gear ratio for the 1st gear? I like the idea of having a 6 gear...Nice to have the 7.5 ration on first...Thanks

I have a front loading Spicer Box with 0.75 OD in 5th which will probably be surplus to my requirements. It is the T5V 2262 from a Road Runner. I'm probably not going to use it for my Gaz because the PTO fits on the wrong (near) side and my winch is PTO driven but from the off side of the gearbox so I'd need to machine the casing and find a PTO and that all seems too much hassle. The box owes me £170. I can crate it and get a shipping quote to Canada if it might be of interest

There surely will be a hydraulic PTO for the S6-36 - Leyland Trucks used it for all sorts, eg tippers. Should be massively strong for your application, so won't barf at engine tweaks., it's ZF but Leyland did masses of testing resulting in strengthening, eg more ribbing on the case to handle shock loads.

• 5 years later...
On 4/17/2014 at 9:19 AM, Ash.Witty said:

Hi Ash, remember reading about your 110 in LRO, nice truck. You seem to know your stuff and I'm after a little information/guidance. 

I have an old Leyland Daf T244 army truck, this has a Turner (Spicer) T5-35014 gearbox, but this is very under geared for road use as the final drive is only 1:1 ratio. As I understand it the Leyland Daf 45 (Roadrunner) which was the civilian road going version of my truck had either a Spicer T5x-2276 or T5v 2262 gearbox installed to the Cummins 6BT engine (same engine as in my truck). Sadly information on the internet is quite sparse, I am looking for alternatives to the existing Turner unit with a better final drive ratio of around .75:1and came across your post on here. As I understand it all three gearboxes are identical in dimensions but with different ratios. Do you know what these ratios are and could you also confirm if I am correct on the exterior dimensions of these gearboxes. Any information would be a massive help. 

Many thanks, Daniel