Home made speedo

wood-gee

Use this for the odometer and to control the servo. It has some EEPROM on board to store the odometer reading between power-ups and it would lend itself to being a multi-function display. There is even a Gauge library for it!

Si

That's a great suggestion from Si, another option for achieving trip function which I read about when a guy made something similar for his motor bike was this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12708

It's a real time clock with a little bit of non volatile memory which could be used to store trip data, plus a clock could be a nice extra string to the bow. w.r.t replacing odo with LCD, I know for what I've been doing I'd wondered about replacing the trip clock with a screen, freeing up the space behind it for a motor. The speedo face itself has the bars separating each digits so it could look pretty cool seeing a screen through that.

That's a great suggestion from Si, another option for achieving trip function which I read about when a guy made something similar for his motor bike was this:

It's a real time clock with a little bit of non volatile memory which could be used to store trip data, plus a clock could be a nice extra string to the bow. w.r.t replacing odo with LCD, I know for what I've been doing I'd wondered about replacing the trip clock with a screen, freeing up the space behind it for a motor. The speedo face itself has the bars separating each digits so it could look pretty cool seeing a screen through that.

on the otherhand... microSD cards + reader for arduino ar cheap and offer huge amounts of space. You could log all you could even think about.

I've often thought about an MPG gauge, with two flow meters - one in the supply and return feeds to the injection pump on a Tdi for example) you could work out the MPG if you knew the speed of the vehicle.

Obviously you'd need a flow meter that was accurate enough and capable of passing the required amount of fuel without hindering it.

That may be ideal!

I plan to slightly alter my fuel system to return to the filter housing rather than the tank, then measure before that. Should only need the one sensor then?

Don't do it. Air can't get out of the system. It is a real pain in the ass.

• Like 1

Something I was tempted to try was to use an accelerometer to calculate force then work that back through your gear ratios to get torque, and with rpm power. You could get an estimation of losses by doing some coast downs. Itd only be approximate but what it lacked in accuracy it'd make up for in gimmeckery