plasma table idea

robertspark

Sorry, I thought it was probably more useful as a comparison with some of the under the skin functionality, given there was a manufacturer in the discussion who appeared not to be able to deal with the points raised and provide some straight answers like no it doesn't do that and here's why

Candcnc have had a long proven track record in THC, and when I first started with a plasma cutter (2001ish), and was struggling to hand cut clean straight cuts and complex shapes and was dreaming of a machine interface controller, candcnc (and the fella who designed the original ... Campbell designs??) Were one of the few available. I thought it was interesting from the neuron review and pid comments too.

I'm going to try to put my calcs and thoughts in a PDF document as typing stuff on here in bitesize chuncks is a PIA

Couple of questions though.... What acceleration and velocity settings, and stepper motor ustep settings are you running (only for the z axis?)

And what pitch is your z axis leadscrew?

Thanks

Rob

• 1 year later...
On 13/05/2015 at 10:29 PM, simonr said:

A couple of things worth mentioning....

I couldn't get the Proma THC to work on material thinner than 6mm. Less than that and the torch just rises & rises! I don't think much of the user interface either. I've actually ended up just using the touch-down torch height control (winding z down until the micro-switch opens and using that to reset the Z=0 position). That works well for all thicknesses.

I have also been thinking about building / writing an Arduino THC but using one of these http://www.adafruit.com/products/1085 in differential mode and using a variable resistor to set the reference for the differential. It has a 16x amplifier for differential - so your resolution can increase by 256x compared to a standard Arduino.

You only need to measure under / over the target voltage with any precision.

My USB / Parallel adaptor is THC compatible: UC100 USB Motion Controller and not withstanding the shortcomings of the Proma, it works fine!

I'm surprised you need Backlash Compensation! I have so close to zero backlash that it's not worth worrying about.

Anyone worried about the wiring / software / setup - have a look here: http://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-Plasma-Table/ where I've written it up.

There are still two of the kits available - just in case!

Si

Dear Si, Are there still any kits available? I contacted SSC with the job number you quoted in instructables but they no longer have the folding detail, just the dxf profiling. I was also wondering if the info they hold is the latest revision? I want to build an 8 x 4 table in  my barn. I would happily buy the kit or work from drawings, whatever suits you? I am new to forums and tried to post yesterday but the post has disappeared without trace, but I apologise in advance if it turns out I am repeating myself. This will be my 1st CNC project, and it looks a cracking idea,

Fraser

1 hour ago, fraser1 said:

Dear Si, Are there still any kits available? I contacted SSC with the job number you quoted in instructables but they no longer have the folding detail, just the dxf profiling. I was also wondering if the info they hold is the latest revision? I want to build an 8 x 4 table in  my barn. I would happily buy the kit or work from drawings, whatever suits you? I am new to forums and tried to post yesterday but the post has disappeared without trace, but I apologise in advance if it turns out I am repeating myself. This will be my 1st CNC project, and it looks a cracking idea,

Fraser

FYI, new posts on the forum from new members need admin approval before they appear on the site.

2 hours ago, fraser1 said:

Dear Si, Are there still any kits available?

Nope - and not for a couple of years now.

If you have a look at: http://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-Plasma-Table/

I've published the whole thing Open Source including the DXF's and drawings for the folding.  If you give these to SSC or any of the other (potentially cheaper) laser cutters, they should be able to sort you out.  SSC are great for bulk orders, but I've found them expensive for one (or a few) off.

If you do find someone, get them to keep the job details on file & post it here or on Instructables (or even mail me) so other people can use it too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Si

Try LaserMaster.co.uk

I've just ordered a bunch of parts in 316 stainless for my jet engine project from them. Very helpful, the price is very reasonable (I thought so, anyway), and they're happy to do one off orders with no tooling or set up cost. Will do folding too. 

Love your work Simon - thanks for open sourcing this. The 3D printer looks brilliant too. 

Cheers 

Ian 

On 20/01/2017 at 11:27 AM, simonr said:

Nope - and not for a couple of years now.

If you have a look at: http://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-Plasma-Table/

I've published the whole thing Open Source including the DXF's and drawings for the folding.  If you give these to SSC or any of the other (potentially cheaper) laser cutters, they should be able to sort you out.  SSC are great for bulk orders, but I've found them expensive for one (or a few) off.

If you do find someone, get them to keep the job details on file & post it here or on Instructables (or even mail me) so other people can use it too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Si

To download dxf files do I need a premier account with instructables and is this the latest incarnation?

8 hours ago, simonr said:

That sounds interesting!

Thanks :), it's a fun project! Apologies for the subject being off topic, but the construction is definitely relevant. 

Laser cut 316 stainless steel:

UNt8Mzll.jpg

Drawings made in OnShape.com (free online parametric CAD)

Build thread here if anyone is interested.

And because it's relevant, here's my (highly questionable) manual circle cutting jig for the plasma. No pilot arc on my machine, and torch height control with a screw in the bottom of the wooden torch holder, If it didn't strike, a little tap enough to bring the torch into contact with the sheet did the trick :rolleyes: Crude, but very, very effective and had some lovely cuts out of it. 

IV5MFh4l.jpg 

The wild invention:

wGLCFMVl.jpg

Edited by lo-fi
  • Like 1