nz new disco 2.5tdi making a heavy hissing sound under acceleration

nmtopua

hi guys/ladies.....

firstly let me introduce myself, just a new member, been skimming thru sections for quite a while and normally solved my problems from other peoples advice etc which has been very helpfull thank you, but now i have come to a bit of a stop and scratching my head.

i have a disco 300tdi, nz new so it doesnt come with the egr system, engine not long ago fully reconditioned by local landrover dealer and running fine, did a filter change and had the usual problem with the lift pump and happened to be on a easter holiday weekend when no shops were open so modified the pipes and fitted a inline electric lift pump which actually works better than i thought, anyways, the truck doesnt seem to perform very well, i know its only 2.5 litre , i blows black smoke under load and up hills, but when you accelerate you hear the normal turbo spooling up, then as the revs increase it really starts to his like the front pipe has broken of!! obviously it hasnt and no aparent holes in the exhaust system as when i shove a rag in the tail pipe it really chokes up and blows the rag out. i have taken the intercooler pipes of and inspected them and they seem to be in sound order, the airfilter is clean. so what im wondering is....can it be the first big muffler that has collapsed or the intercooler leaking as i dont know where the loud hissing noise comes from under heavy boost, what happens when the waste gate is stuck open ?

i hope someone else has come to this problem ?

generally driving it you can drive up a hill from stopping as it just hasnt got the guts to go up, but if you have a run up from a flat road it will go, it really feels like i have a 3 ton trailer on behind me.....lol

any help would be great thanks.

I guess it could be a blocked exhaust but I'd suspect from the description that the little 90 degree hose that comes out of the turbo is delaminating inside, have you checked that thoroughly? Otherwise yes I would have a look at the intercooler and if you can do it without getting arrested for noise, drop the downpipe off the first silencer, tie the silencer to something (or take it off) and take it for a quick run like that. Black smoke suggests a blockage rather than too much boost.

i ran it bypassing the inter cooler with a u pipe out of the turbo straight into the manifold and still the same, tried with no aircleaner(made sure the air box was cleanish). but will unbolt the flange and drop pipe of and go for a spin and see what happens, by the way, i fitted a electric fuel pump thinking i could get away with it but the problem is that the fuel drains back to the tank as the pump has no return stop on it so the original lrover pump must stop fuel syphoning back, so there is always a reason why we try these things but was worth a shot.

update, found the hissing noise, front pipe has a flexi joint that is leaking making the noise, it has webbing around it and you cant visually see it leaking but it makes the hissing noise....

still having problems with poor performance, i have taken the fuel line banjo fittings out from the filter housing and the pump but both are clean .??

Is your wastegate free to move ?

if it's stuck open you will lose boost and get lots of black smoke . As BM says check the boost pressure lines to the FIP and also maybe

pop the diaphragm cover off the top of the FIP and make sure its free to move down under pressure

Also check the air filter hose to turbo for delaminating internally . If you squeeze the intercooler to manifold pipe and give it a rev does the pipe try to expand ?

It does sound like you have plenty of fuel but no turbo pressure

cheers

Steveb