300 tdi power steering fluid leak

Hi guys

Had a problem that i lost power steering fluid. Topped up the fluid and power steering fine, but with engine running and putting steering on 3/4 to full lock its -issing out.

Problem is I cannot identify where from! I cannot see the escape point from above, and there is so much fluid loss spraying out and dripping off Anti roll bar etc I cannot get directly under to see. I thought i would feel where the leak was but gave up that idea as it is just behind the drive belts. Obviously with engine switched off all I am left with is soaking wet engine parts and cannot see leak point.

Without a pit or ramps, any ideas as to best way to find the leak, I am no mechanic, but I have stripped down the front of this vehicle after crash damage, replaced belts, radiator, intercooler and exhaust, so I am not totally without ability but should I really be attempting this leaking power steering fluid. What are the pipe connectors like? do i need special tools? etc.

Thanks. Steve.

The pipe ends are 'special' to Land Rover but the threads are standard. When I put the PAS in to my 109 I got straight fittings and dowty seals.

I also have a leak and also can't identify where from. By the sounds of it you have identified it as the pump and not the box, have a check of the hoses, make sure they're tight and not damaged first. Then it may be you need a new pump. Wrap the hose in clean rags and run it for a few seconds, it should contain the spray, and hopefully identify which hose leaks. Make sure they are clear of the belts obviously.

The pipe ends are 'special' to Land Rover but the threads are standard. When I put the PAS in to my 109 I got straight fittings and dowty seals.

I also have a leak and also can't identify where from. By the sounds of it you have identified it as the pump and not the box, have a check of the hoses, make sure they're tight and not damaged first. Then it may be you need a new pump. Wrap the hose in clean rags and run it for a few seconds, it should contain the spray, and hopefully identify which hose leaks. Make sure they are clear of the belts obviously.

Thanks for all that, i will give it a go.