TD5 oil light flickering

Posting up for a friend with a 110 TD5.

His oil light started flickering at low RPM so he changed oil and both filters, tested oil pressure with a good gauge and got readings of 3.5 BAR at tick over and 5.5 at higher rpm.

Both above the book of lies numbers.

He changed the switch assuming it was faulty after the pressure readings were taken but it's still happening.

He's convinced it's not a wire shorting out because it only happens at low RPM, slowing for roundabouts and when stationary etc.

Any suggestions I can offer to him?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

I'd bet on a wiring loom issue with it chafing around the bell housing. As it idles down from high revs under load the engine will shift more on the mounts. The wiring loom is a tight fit, I've changed one and there is no slack whatsoever.

Td5s do not wear and if it was a failed oil pump bolt, the engine would be dead by now, you don't have low pressure.

Oil is fully synthetic 5w30....

I'll get him to massage the loom while someone inspects the lights... Are you suggesting nearside where the loom travels along the gearbox before crossing over to the seatbox?

Any more suggestions?

Quick update...

Testing oil pressure when engine hot reveals low oil pressure barely reaching 2 bar when revved.... Barely reading when on tickover.

So, not the loom but not getting oil pressure when the oil is hot.... Oil pump?

He and I were discussing this last night based on the info above and reading other forums etc.

He's going to check the pressure relief valve, even though that typically results in high oil pressure if stuck.

Mr Shifter.... How might the turbo be affecting the oil pressure?

I was just wondering, if there was a turbo problem, ie too much clearance in the bearing, whether too much of the oil couldn't get through the turbo, and thus deplete oil pressure for the rest of the engine. I totally admit it's straw grasping, I'm in denial, it all points to bearings or oil pump tired, but engine out and a rebuild or replacement is normally a bit of a last resort, and it would be good to know it really was that before you get it out otherwise you may not be fixing the problem.. Can you maybe drop the sump on td5s and have a look first? Or bodgily for now maybe in the meantime use thicker oil, as its hot idle pressure that's the issue (isn't it always?) - 5w/40 or 50 rather than 5w/30?