Volvo C303 Overlander Build

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Updates:

Radiator and IC mounted.

Underslung side lockers made. RHS has 2x batteries, air compressor & hydraulic pump on slide out drawers. LHS has aux fuel tank, small locker for ropes, and waste water tank.

Compressed air tank mounted.

prog1.jpg

prog2.jpg

prog3.jpg

prog4.jpg

18 minutes ago, Ozzy50 said:

@HoSS 

not trying to tell grandma how to suck eggs but I take it you are going to support that top hose !

loving the build 👌🏻

Yeah i was just testing length. Have to remove it to drop body on and then it will be supported to the body.
Thanks.

I thought someone was going to point out the lifting sling around the GB. Yes i will have to unbolt that again to get the sling off :)

22 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Please don't use that God awful convoluted radiator hose it's horrible. It splits doesn't flow very well and it looks nasty.

Mike

Ive found it ok actually for custom stuff, no evidence it does not flow, it bends better instead of kinking for custom things, and i've never had a failure. Prob depends on the quality, its not chinese....

1 hour ago, HoSS said:

Ive found it ok actually for custom stuff, no evidence it does not flow, it bends better instead of kinking for custom things, and i've never had a failure. Prob depends on the quality, its not chinese....

Some vehicles like my 1975 Scammell Crusader even have it as standard tbh! (the radiator swings out on a pivot at the front so its needed)

20 hours ago, HoSS said:

I had a length of genuine Gates flexi on the 109 which failed in a new and interesting way - the wire coil wound itself out and cause the hose to collapse at certain RPM due to the water flow sucking it flat, caused random overheating.

I replaced it with a length of stainless and standard universal silicone elbows/joiners on the ends, works much more lovelier now.

• 5 months later...
On 10/3/2020 at 10:06 AM, miketomcat said:

I guess I'm just used to 110sw chassis which has 7 plus front bumper. I don't doubt the material is considerably thicker though.

Mike

Just to come back to that. I had to cut up my old chassis for disposal. Its 4mm wall with top/bottom reinforcing strips of an additional 3mm. Not a spot of rust inside after 46 years either.

IIRC Defender chassis were 2.5mm

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok some progress. Since i needed to replace the windscreens anyway, i've been pondering for some time to replace the 2-piece split screen with one piece. A few others have done it and it makes the truck look about 20 years newer. So this involved cutting out the central divider, and making corner pieces.
Good old-fashioned paper template methods employed

Inner corner fillets hacked out of some 3mm steel.

A rather large lump of metal turned into smaller bits and several enormous brillo pads.

will get these welded in by a tame welder mate.

IMG_0504 (1).JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HoSS said:

Ok some progress. Since i needed to replace the windscreens anyway, i've been pondering for some time to replace the 2-piece split screen with one piece. A few others have done it and it makes the truck look about 20 years newer.

Awww I like the split-screen look.

Neat work on the corners though.

Original windscreens are square corners, dont want to cut & glue off the shelf seals, so round corners. Have a Plexi template window temporarily, then will get a custom winscreen made up. The originals are impossible to get anyway.