Plasma Winch Webbing

MogLite

Or whatever its called.

The flat 1" webbing that was on sale at Billing.

I've heard a couple of people singing its praises. I can see the downfalls compared to conventional rope.

But it seems cheap and strong, and possibly very useful for extensions etc.

Anyone got any links for suppliers.

I think these people sell them here.

I tested one and found one big problem was attaching it to the winch. My winch drum still has shiney paint on it and you attach this type of "rope" to the drum by tieing it on. No matter what sort of knot was used (and I had an expert doing it) the whole lot just slipped on the drum when put under any load. You cannot poke this stuff into a hole in the drum or crimp an eye on the end. If the drum is roughed up a bit it may grip.

Could be OK as an extension rope.

Mmmm,

I was in there the day before yesterday, getting a few "bits" and chatting to the lads in there, (other than the boss that is, where you get the real info) and was told they'd took it off their's own trucks <_< and refitted the wire/plasma

read into that what you will..... :blink:

I'm not suprised they took it off,not that I have actually used it ....... It is sold primarily to the marine (yotty) fraternity and is polyester webbing,prone to uv degradation and not particularly strong,certainly nothing as compared to 9mm wire or 11mm plasma. If pulling through an alloy fairlead from the side it will get distorted and be prone to lots of friction. I'd say its ideal as an extension only

Thinking about it....it would need modification to be used as an extension rope. The non hook end of the one I tried was plain. It would therefore need a loop putting in it. It would need stitching on an industrial sewing machine as splicing is not an option.................................unless you are happy to dangle your landy on the end of a knot you have tied!

Also it would be a bit tricky to use with a snatch block.

I saw 3 of these snap in one weekend. They were all brand new. They are all replacing with plasma rope now. Theres always a reson why things are cheap. As soon as you chaff the edge badly they just rip in half with the weight of a landy on them....

I'll be sticking to plasma on mine. Buy it frome the states or roguevogue on here and there is not to much difference in price, sometimes u get what u pay for.... ;)

Hi All,

I would just like to clarify the situation regarding Plasma Winch Line.

Plasma is the registered trademark of Puget Sound Ropes, USA.

I know that it has become the generic term used for all synthetic winch lines, however this can be misleading, with non Plasma products being promoted & sold as Plasma.

Such is the price of success in promoting this product over the last 5 years in the UK.

There is only one product that is Plasma, the rest are not.

Normally this is supplied in a purple colour.

Competition is good and it is always worthwhile considering all sources/materials when buying a new product.

I was also very interested in the flat/webbing material being sold at Billing and considered it worth a try at the price.

Please ensure that you do get what you order and if it is sold as Plasma it should come with a Certificate of Conformance issued by the manufacturer, clearly stating the minimum breaking strain of the grade supplied & dated as the time imported into the UK.

If in doubt, always ask for proof of origin.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

www.ruftraks.co.uk

Hi All,

I would just like to clarify the situation regarding Plasma Winch Line.

Plasma is the registered trademark of Puget Sound Ropes, USA.

I know that it has become the generic term used for all synthetic winch lines, however this can be misleading, with non Plasma products being promoted & sold as Plasma.

Such is the price of success in promoting this product over the last 5 years in the UK.

There is only one product that is Plasma, the rest are not.

Normally this is supplied in a purple colour.

Competition is good and it is always worthwhile considering all sources/materials when buying a new product.

I was also very interested in the flat/webbing material being sold at Billing and considered it worth a try at the price.

Please ensure that you do get what you order and if it is sold as Plasma it should come with a Certificate of Conformance issued by the manufacturer, clearly stating the minimum breaking strain of the grade supplied & dated as the time imported into the UK.

If in doubt, always ask for proof of origin.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

www.ruftraks.co.uk

Andy im currently breading a strain of large Botswanian sh*t spiders that will produce pre-stressed & certificated lines that can be spun by Umpalumpas from Charlies Factory.

Would you or Rufftracks like to supply competitors at next years AFC a lenght to try free of cost B)

Anyone else on the forum that would like a long lenght please contact the moderators :blink:

I thought it was an interesting concept - but as has been mentioned, you can't splice it & I doubt it will work with a standard snatch-block - although it is cheap!

IMHO You'd be better off buying 'proper' rope from Nick (Rogue Vogue) which is cheaper than anyone else is currently selling synthetic winch line.

Si

Dear "Plughole",

Are you conducting the breeding experiment within the UK?

I would, of course, be very interested in marketing your product, provided you can supply the neccessary Certificates of Conformance and assure me that no living creatures were harmed or unduly stressed during the manufacturing process.

I have seen the clear advantages of this type of fibre demostrated during the recent screening of Spiderman 2 and it also heartwarming that you also embrace equal oppertunity culture, so often ignored, in employing an often ignored minority grouping - the "Umpalumpas".

I have oftren wondered where these fine workers are to be found in these worrying times of political correctness and the modern worlds addiction to fitness & diet.

All power to you and I look forward to recieving the first sample.

Kindest regards,

Andrew Thomlinson.

Founder member of the Equal Opportunites Commission.

Firstly, if I say Plasma I only use it generically, like hoover or tannoy, the rope I sell is made in Newhaven (Yes made in the UK!) by Marlow Ropes and is not genuine Plasma in the true sense.

I sell this rope on ebay from time to time and there is a nice chap who keeps asking why I advertise it as Plasma when clearly it is not, well I only use Plasma in the title because it is what people search for.

Some times he asks for a certificate of conformity, I sell this as a service to other people at an affordable price because I can, I make almost no money on it so no, there isn't any certificate.

Of course it is my opinion that there is no alternative to Dynaline. ;)

Hi Roguevogue,

Live and let live - that is what I say!

The market is big enough for us all and I had it all my way for about 3 years.

I am not having a go at you and never intended to, However there are those out there that are selling all sorts of synthetic line, not only calling it Plasma but supplying a reciept that clearly states it!

I know you sell your Dynaline on e-bay and use the plasma name as a direction finder to the item - this is quite reasonable as you clearly state on opening the item description that it is Dynaline - good luck to you! :D

Kindest regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

www.ruftraks.co.uk

Firstly, if I say Plasma I only use it generically, like hoover or tannoy, the rope I sell is made in Newhaven (Yes made in the UK!) by Marlow Ropes and is not genuine Plasma in the true sense.

I sell this rope on ebay from time to time and there is a nice chap who keeps asking why I advertise it as Plasma when clearly it is not, well I only use Plasma in the title because it is what people search for.

Some times he asks for a certificate of conformity, I sell this as a service to other people at an affordable price because I can, I make almost no money on it so no, there isn't any certificate.

Of course it is my opinion that there is no alternative to Dynaline. ;)

All these synthetic ropes Dynaline,Dyneema,Spectra,Plasma,Vectran etc are manufacturers trade names for the same composition material using Kevlar as opposed to conventional ropes which are manufactured from terylene,nylon.polyester,polypropelyne etc .

These stretch significantly and therefore store latent energy.In the event of breaking the same as wire rope ,they will snap back with potentially lethal consequences.

The synthetic ropes have virtually no stretch.

As a guide, the breaking strain of 1" polyester webbing is 3000kg

The breaking strain of 10mm synthetic rope is 5000kg.12mm is 7,200kg

8mm galvanised wire as standard fitting on many winches is 4600 kg breaking strain.

Bear in mind that in commercial lifting operations cranes etc we use 16mm wire rope tested to 23000 kg breaking strain ,but certified for between 3000 kg and 4000kg depending on construction and quality.

Makes you think about the safety margins we use on Land Rover winches.

I use 12mm Dyneema on my front uprated 8274 and 9mm dyneema on a 9,000lb rear winch.

Hi,

All these synthetic ropes Dynaline,Dyneema,Spectra,Plasma,Vectran etc are manufacturers trade names for the same composition material using Kevlar as opposed to conventional ropes which are manufactured from terylene,nylon.polyester,polypropelyne etc .

The above statement is quite untrue in every possible way as none contain Kevlar!

All the figures quoted are wrong and every individual manufacturer of synthetic lines claims different characteristics and performance specifications for their products, this also applies to steel as there are different qualities and maufacturing processes available for this also..

I am happy to discuss the technical composition of the various synthetic winch lines in detail off forum as it will require a great deal of technospeak, boring as h**l for the majority of viewers.

Sweeping statements should be reserved for people using brushes and in general are just for pushing rubbish about!!

Andy Thomlinson.

Yawn......

My 2 pennies worth.........I use steel, and will continue to use steel for one very simple reason. The plastic stuff is just too damn expensive.

My front winch is loaded with 125ft of 11mm steel, which complete with a swivel hook cost me 35 quid. How much would the various alternatives have cost me? Alot more, beaing in mind it'd probably have to be 12 or 13mm plastic stuff.........

I know its heavier, but equally I know it wont snap. These plastic ropes seem to snap all the time. People seem to say that steel is lethal if it goes, but I replace my steel ropes at the first hints of damage - how many people dont and just hammer the kinks flat again and re-spool the steel??? Also my winch has shear pins, which will shear long before the cable comes anywhere close to breaking.........

If the plastic stuff was cheaper I'd use it for sure. But when it costs at least 4x as much as the steel and it seems to snap all the time, no thankyou! I cant afford to be shelling out a couple of hundred quid for a new rope twice a year when I've snapped it. For me, I'd pay a few quid more for the plastic stuff over the steel, but not much - to me its not worth much more than a tenner over the top IMHO.

Plus I know it wont come off of the drum - eh Nige!

Jon

10mm Dyneema is quoted as 10136kg by David Bowyer

I don't know whether this is accurate or not but if so it makes it slightly more than the required 2x safety factor for pulling on my Milemarker (4700kg/10500lb max rated pull)

Jon is right though ... the cost is horrendous compared to wire. I just really like not towing half a ton of metal hawser across a bog because I think it's too much like hard work :) also having experienced 100ft of winch wire arrive on the front of my 90 at about 100mph I like the safety bit too - if the worst does happen, being spanked round the legs with a bit of plastic hurts less than being spanked round the legs with an iron bar :unsure:

I have had a couple of "close shaves" with nearly damaging the Dyneema on sharp rocks and this is one argument where wire is definitely better - it's an expensive mistake to make. But then you can splice it easily. Swings and roundabouts really...... :) I've still got my 9mm wire in a birds nest under the bench in the garage but I don't think I'll be using it again.

I remember the good old days when I was a boy when real men didn't use winches, ARB's, Simex's, Portal Axles and all these new fankled toys like yon plastic string stuff, petrol was 2/6d a gallon, none of this metrification malarky.

Progress & improvement - who needs it!

When you could buy a serious off-roader from the local farmer for the price of a half decent lunch!

It was knackered but such fun!

Now, of course, just to stay in the hunt, yes I did say hunt, the list of regular consumables, consumed regularly, includes CV's, half shafts, diffs and alls sorts of spare parts I can barely pronounce, and as for them hybid things "well whatever next", and what on earth is an "Ibex" except a hairy thing roaming the Masai-marra!

I suppose when all is said and done , and in the grand scheme of things, perhaps a couple of hundred quid is not to much to pay for piece of mind, safety and strength, never mind easing the life of the poor unfortunate winch bitch.

Barefoot Jock from the North

Yawn......

My 2 pennies worth.........I use steel, and will continue to use steel for one very simple reason. The plastic stuff is just too damn expensive.

My front winch is loaded with 125ft of 11mm steel, which complete with a swivel hook cost me 35 quid. How much would the various alternatives have cost me? Alot more, beaing in mind it'd probably have to be 12 or 13mm plastic stuff.........

I know its heavier, but equally I know it wont snap. These plastic ropes seem to snap all the time. People seem to say that steel is lethal if it goes, but I replace my steel ropes at the first hints of damage - how many people dont and just hammer the kinks flat again and re-spool the steel??? Also my winch has shear pins, which will shear long before the cable comes anywhere close to breaking.........

If the plastic stuff was cheaper I'd use it for sure. But when it costs at least 4x as much as the steel and it seems to snap all the time, no thankyou! I cant afford to be shelling out a couple of hundred quid for a new rope twice a year when I've snapped it. For me, I'd pay a few quid more for the plastic stuff over the steel, but not much - to me its not worth much more than a tenner over the top IMHO.

Plus I know it wont come off of the drum - eh Nige!

Jon

wire is dangerous with spikes/lethal if it snaps can't be thrown up hills easily kinks and gets in a sodding mess.

I'll be buying Nicks stuff as and when, I've snapped one rope twice then respliced it, still working fine.

sanpped once a wit a great flower pot and the second time when trapped by a poxy snatch block.

both times nothing was damage bar the flower pot...

oh and Nicks rangie when we cut it free.

Nicks rope at the price he charges is superb value.

I think you've summed it up there Tony - Wire with spikes should have been thrown away long ago. You can (honestly) handle either of my ropes without fear of spikes casue as soon as I get one it gets thown away.

I've heard all the argements blash blah blah before, but at the end of the day its still too damn expensive for what amounts to a consumable item.

I've invested in ARB's for example. They (probably) wont ever need replacing. Winch cable (like tyres) wear out and do.

On the same note this is one reason why i dont run Simex's - once agin - consumable items that are just too expensive.

And no Nige - I have the proper brass shear pins not the mankey bent high tensile botl variety!

Jon