Old Soddenrightthoughbury Today

Hybrid_From_Hell

John White and I arrived at Old sodders today in the Merc and traction controlled ourselves into the field.....joined the throng just as the doors opened at 11.00

Saw a number of Forumeers, Les H Fi (mit icckle cakes Mmmmm :) ) Fridge Jez G, Moglite, Simon R, Chris W, Tonk TJ101 to drop Pugwashes free loan AC Fans back (ta Mr P very kind of you) and missed Paul W but John & I did enjoy them sausages that you left cooking :lol: Ta :)

Bought not really much but quite chuffed :

Nice 12 Inch Mitiotoyouooto or however its spelt vernier for £7

V8 Viscous fan thingy for poss project £1

Complete 3.5 EFI Flapper Loom (don't ask :angry: ) £15

Resistor pack, ......and a freebie "Very Pre Loved" RR Haynes 'BOL' from Les H - Ta matey most kind,

Picked up my EFI Fuel pressure guage loaned to Andy M, and a few other bits I can't remember.

Big as ever, loads of Tut as ever, but took from 11.00 till 3.30 to wnader round all the stalls so good day overall.

Heavens opened had waterprrof top but jeans got soaked, JW and I both walked around till we dryed out :lol:

So who got what ?

Nige

picked up a nice D90 CSW roof with alpines, sunroof and full head linings, side panels with windows and internal CSW trim and rear door all for 120 quid.

New black full canvas for 165 quid.

Door bolts for 1.50

Cheeseburger, 1/2 price ( charged for 1, got given 2)

My neighbour bought a seat box, dixon bate, windsreen surround and towing webbing.

All in all a great day, shame about the heavy shower, but it did help me negotiate the CSW pricing down.

Nigel

This was my first time at Sodbury.

Got myself lost on the way there...thought I was being clever to try and get around the carpark that was at the top of the A31 :D

Started to get wet about an hour into my wander around. Any tent was very busy at than point.

Came away with some early rear lamp clusters for my Disco so I can have more indicators, replacement steering column switchgear so my indicators will now self-cancel, a G4 travel mug, front and rear QT diff guards and a Southdown steering guard.

No idea when I'll get to fit it all...

Well Victor and myself managed to stay pretty dry,, one big downpour !! , so retired to the nearest cover, which just happened to be Matt & Bish's stand, (thanks guys) and the mud was not too bad,, biggest downer is over half hour to get out from the main gate !!

Got a few bits, couple of new Gen. wolf door tops, (result) a proper rat snatch block,speedo pod for the tallyban wagon, picked up a snorkel from Southdown, and half a dozen light lens for a fiver,

No wings though, could not even find a decent pair at any price !!!

No TD5 steering wheel for JST,

Pauls sausages were still a bit on the uncooked side, when we left !! shame :( But thanks Fi,, for the muffins, not quite the same quality as last year, but filled a gap !! :) Nice to me Nige, if only briefly !! and see Chris W talking a bit of money for Si !!

Mate (Si) turned up at 8am and within minutes we were on our way to our first Sodbury ever. Barely 5miles into our 280mile round trip from North Staffordshire my mate comments that the car warmed up quick this morning and is now almost in the red. Damn. We are in a standard TD 90 and visions of warped heads are going through my mind :blink: . Heaters on full and we soldier on.

Three hours later we make in into Old soddenbury mud fest car park, its the middle of winter and yet i feel like ive just stepped out of a TD powered sauna :rolleyes:

Jumpers abandoned at the car and we make our way into the jumble, qucikly spot the first thing on my list and we are away, its the defender steering column cowl and the switch panel for the indicators, the guy wants a tenner for each! :angry: Cheeky tw*t - i later find both for less than 3quid :)

11.30 and the heavens open, instantly drenched we just think ahh sod it, cant get any wetter now, how wrong we were :( . Jeans suddenly weigh 15stone and we head back off into the now deserted show, pick up some bargains and head back to the car to dump the first lot. We learn from our mistakes and grab our rain coats and get back to the stalls only to find glorious sunshine, b*llocks.

I buy some paint, Si buys a steering guard, we pick up yet more trim and dash bits for my 90 and head back to the car again, almost falling face first in the mud. Trainers ditched and boots donned we return once more for bargain hunting.

Spotted Paul Wightman and Marks Disco at the X-eng stand, and almost talked to SimonR about his chopped radius arms, but was too shy to say hello to anyone, this was probably the closest i get to feeling what normal people do when they see a celebrity :rolleyes:

Saw the Tecknik stand, and saw their bumpers in the flesh, seem well made and fairly heavy duty so i thinks they well be recieving my order soon. Also saw 4X4 R US who make some nice stuff and it seemed fairly cheap, they make a nice alternative to QT diff guards, link here

Picked up a winch plate from Champion that they reckon is for 15,000LB winches, not sure its upto Nige's (HFH) standards though. Interestly they didnt have any of thier two-speed winches, apparently they are having problems getting them to pull anywhere near the rated load (this from the guy who works there).

So we take turns lugging this lump of steel with holes in around the show whilst desperatly trying to find a rear fog and a number plate light for my MOT. We get rained on some more and think about leaving at 3ish.

The TD gets to temperature before we even leave the car park and we gently coax it back up the M40, stopping at the services near work to check the Viscous - despite being hotter than a big pile of fire next to a radiator the fan will spin freely with the engine off :(

It starts raining so hard the dry motorway collects an inch of surface water in an instant and the wipers cant manage the fast speed. B*llocks. Almost passed Birmingham and just passed the last services the fuel light comes on and the wiper motor has begun to sound like its trying to grind sandstone with a cheese grater. B*llocks. We stop for fuel and its gone dark, the 90 has consumed a tank of diesel in 237miles so we are averaging V8 economy at half the speed, at least we can go out in the rain tho :D

So, spent up, soaked and extremely tired we roll up at mine at half six. Did we have a good time? Hell yeah! See you there next year, by then i might have the courrage to say hello :)

Had a good day to start ,made nearly £400 selling tat , Bought Double cardon prop £15 and its still got the remains of the new sticker on it (result ) A transfer box flange to suit the prop £ 35 ( Robbing git )

brandnew 120Amp alternator £38 , s/h 100 amp alternator £5 , 4X 90 wing skins in ok nick £2each

Td5 seat box £15 .

Pulling out the gate after i drove 200 yds some PR**K pulled out of the bottom gate in an Isuzi Trooper with out as much as a glance to his right , I locked up , the treailer locked up , and then I T-boned him Proper style , The trooper was U shaped after I hit him side on ,Both doors ,B post , rear wing , windows ,sill and managed to push his NSR tyre off the rim .

Me ,not too happy but managed to drive home with damaged OSF wing , bumper bent ,and bonnet bent .

If any one happened to witness this please let me know , I already have a couple of witnesses , but the more the better I guess ,

Pulling out the gate after i drove 200 yds some PR**K pulled out of the bottom gate in an Isuzi Trooper with out as much as a glance to his right , I locked up , the treailer locked up , and then I T-boned him Proper style , The trooper was U shaped after I hit him side on ,Both doors ,B post , rear wing , windows ,sill and managed to push his NSR tyre off the rim .

Me ,not too happy but managed to drive home with damaged OSF wing , bumper bent ,and bonnet bent .

If any one happened to witness this please let me know , I already have a couple of witnesses , but the more the better I guess ,

Didn't realise that was you else we would have stopped to take the pi$$ help. Came out of the show past your truck and saw the Isuzu - bloody hell, looked like a write off to me!!

Didn't see it happen though - sorry.

Matt

I was there did'nt buy that much pair of front half shafts with GKN CV's all together

Defenter TDI rad surrounding frame - what I wanted

SS grill - £ 5 worth more that that in scrap +

A few other bits and pices

I always enjoy walking around the old sod

Cheers

Steve

Good day for me,

Been looking for a set of galvanised cappings for a 90 without paying silly money. Saw a set of series III LWB ones bought them for a £1 each with a view to cutting them down. 20 minutes later found a full set of cappings for a 90 including the centre bulkhead and rear bits for £5, damn that's £2 wasted :angry: . Offered two RR bottle jacks for free, £2 for a handle though. Finally, picked up a replacement mirror assembly to replace the one I smashed on the garage last week.

Not bad apart from overpriced burger. :)

Well I had a good day, although ended up spending too much money as per usual!

Didn't get too wet - the torential downpour around mid day I went and hid under the gazeebo at the back of the x-eng stand, and waited for it to ease off.

Buyingwise I managed to aquire a double cardan propshaft for 15 quid (thought I was doing well, but it seems to be the going rate according to ciderman's post :P ) - we have yet to see if it is 1) any good or 2) any use to me... :D

Also got a husky winch for a keen price, which may advance the rear winch plans, or it may just get added to the pile of winches in the garage...

picked up a couple of other random bits for various projects in the offing, and generally had a really good wander round. Didn't see many forumers though - possibly cos I spent most of the day with my head down shopping! particularly upset that we missed fi's cake delivery to the x-eng stand.

Lewis - next time you see us, come and say hi, we don't bite (that costs extra....)

Cheers

Mark :)

Spotted Paul Wightman and Marks Disco at the X-eng stand, and almost talked to SimonR about his chopped radius arms, but was too shy to say hello to anyone, this was probably the closest i get to feeling what normal people do when they see a celebrity :rolleyes:

Lewis, you should have said hello, we don’t bite.

Did you see a "celebrity" in action when he locked the keys to his Transit in the back!

I closed the side door as the rain was getting in, front was already locked, rear became locked and I’ve got a full steel bulkhead. Bo**ock’s!

I’m now stood in Newbury showground outside a locked and alarmed Transit with the spare set of keys 85 miles away and a wife who would NOT understand. Bo**ock’s!

After many suggestions including hammers, crow bars, bricks and oxy acetylene someone pointed out the AA were onsite. Worth a try I thought.

“Any chance you could help, I’ve locked the keys in back of my Transit?”

Suck air through teeth “ possibly, how old is it?”

“55 plate”

Suck air through teeth “ alarm and immobilizer?”

“Yes”

Suck air through teeth “ bulkhead?”

“Yes”

Sir is a little bu&&ered! We will have to go in through the wing mirror”

Not wanting to give too much away those very nice people from the AA opened the Transit in minutes with no damage whatsoever!

I would like to offer a BIG thank you to the guys from the AA for only making me look a bit of a wally rather than a total to$$er!

I made a small donation to their chosen charity.

I will be speaking to Mr Ford regarding their security measures.

As for purchases I found some nice Freestyles with good tyres for the wife’s Discovery and some 245 70 16s for the Range Rover (thanks Nick no finders fee!). Even found a winch for £25! (Very small winch, the forklift gets stuck in the yard, it’s 12v). Range Rover air suspension compressor and some other things I will remember when I unload the Transit.

Well we turned up just in time to get heavily rained on, bumped in to Dan and Jen, Daan, and Chip (Shires webmaster) huddling in the burger tent. Also met up with Nige, Jon White, Fi (AKA the cupcake pixie :P ), Les, and many more.

My total purchases for the day were two Disco 2 steering arms at £25 the pair, and a Bison Burger which was really rather good. Jez, however, managed far better and bought all sorts of goodies for the lab which we then had to cram into the Range Rover on top of the H14 that was already in there :rolleyes:

The usual NATO Hitch bingo didn't go as well as usual, the most I saw one for was £45 which is postively sensible compared to previous highs of £75+ :blink:

Paul , I know what you mean about the Transit security system , ********************************e ( cannot say wich colour in case someone trys skankin my van tonight)

Another way to gain entry ******************************************* hey presto it would deactivate the security system .

Matt cheers anyway , good old landy survived a full on brawl with a large lump of Jap carp. 1nil to 90

Did anyone see the gloss black 'never been fitted' 200/300TDi bulkhead for sale at 230 pounds? It looked immaculate. I just could not work out what was wrong with it because it looked such a bargain, yet it was still there when i left at 3:30 and had been reduced to 200 pounds. I have the sellers number, so if anyone can tell me that there is no obvious problem with it then let me know as I might see if he still has it for sale.

Nigel

The usual NATO Hitch bingo didn't go as well as usual, the most I saw one for was £45 which is postively sensible compared to previous highs of £75+ :blink:

Typical I was trying to sell one for a tenner , and Ive still got it .

If you still have that NATO, can you let me know - I know someone who is after one (must've missed the bargains at Old Sod cos I didn't see one at all!!!)

Thanks,

Matt

Did any of you buy one of those re-sealable blue drums? There were two sizes and I bought a couple of the smaller ones. I don't know what the thick white gunky stuff is that they used to contain, but I cleaned it out of them this morning. It takes scalding hot water and plenty of washing up liquid to shift it.

Les. :)

Did any of you buy one of those re-sealable blue drums? There were two sizes and I bought a couple of the smaller ones. I don't know what the thick white gunky stuff is that they used to contain, but I cleaned it out of them this morning. It takes scalding hot water and plenty of washing up liquid to shift it.

Les. :)

why have I got visions of the only fools and horses sketch,, with the barrels of dodgey chemicals Del had to get rid of from the allotment !!!! :lol::lol:

Did anyone see the gloss black 'never been fitted' 200/300TDi bulkhead for sale at 230 pounds? It looked immaculate. I just could not work out what was wrong with it because it looked such a bargain, yet it was still there when i left at 3:30 and had been reduced to 200 pounds. I have the sellers number, so if anyone can tell me that there is no obvious problem with it then let me know as I might see if he still has it for sale.

Nigel

the story with these bulkheads is that some cleaver people search landrover parts book for brackets/washers/screws

in the bulkheads case order a certan bracket on the bulkhead this part cost's a £10 and hay presto you recive the hole bulkhead for free!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

it also happened with 4 pin diffs brand new complete diff form landrover £30 you just pay for some small part of it

lots of people where having a good time out of these parts you just find a helpfull parts man in landrover dealership and at the end of the day he's doing no wong :unsure:

i didn't spend as much as usual, bought 3 marshall powerguard tyres in new condition, one at £15, and two at £12.50... yet there were other people trying to get £30 each!!!! :rolleyes:

bougth a few other odds and ends, then last night, about 8 hours after leaving the old sod, i had to swerve off the road to avoid a deer, and stoved my front bumper, headlight trim panel, various internal wing bits and a front tyre into tree......... to say i was not happy last night would be an understatement. :angry::angry:

so if anyone has got a 300Tdi disco front bumper, or a couple of marshall or kumho powerguard tyres (205's) PM me, im in gravesend, kent.

matt.

got loads of cr@p: complete 90/110 swivel assy which I can take apart for the metric hubs, Genuine brandspanking new swivel balls (chrome, they dont make them chrome anymore), mirrors, front axle casing, rear winch (EP9 proper plastic assault, but to good a deal to miss), loads of steering rods, stationwagon sides for the hard top, limestone paint to make them white. i then decided I had spent enough.

I saw loads of people, jez, fohn the freezer, andy landy, andy moglite and numerous people not on here. Not sure yet where to hide everything but as usual rather stuck with it than without. Old sodbury rocks!

Daan