'91 Defender 110 CSW, LHD - Fuse box question

Hi, All,

My vehicle originally had a Mid-east 3.5L V8 but now has a 300Tdi. Please can somebody tell me the duty of each of the relays mounted inside the fuse box below the fuses. Mine has 8 relays. From the left, looking at the box, the first two are green, and the remaining 6 are yellow. When the engine transplant was done, by others, some duties may have changed, but I have no idea of the duty of any of them.

Many thanks for any info.

Mike

Hi, All,

I seem to still have an intermittent short causing me to randomly have a flat battery, which is what the OP was about. In following up with a multi-tester, with the battery removed, I get the following results:

Between positive and negative battery leads Zero resistance

I assume this could be because of the clock and radio memory circuits, but I'm not sure.

Between the following locations and earth:

At the fuses in the fuse box, at all except the four headlamp fuses Zero resistance

The four headlamp fuses Open circuit

At the main starter connection stud, on the solenoid, all leads connected Zero resistance

At the main starter solenoid stud, with all the leads disconnected Open circuit

On the leads that I've disconnected from the starter stud:

Heavy Brown lead Open circuit

2 thinner Brown leads Zero resistance

Red/black lead Open circuit

Heavy Red lead (main connection between battery and starter) Open circuit

Red/white lead connected to other terminal on solenoid (closer to engine block) Open circuit

(Power to operate solenoid)

With the battery positive lead connected and using a test lamp between the negative lead, which is disconnected, and the battery negative post the test lamp illuminates brightly for about 1 second and then fades away completely. If I break the circuit for a couple of seconds and then re-connect the test lamp it repeats the brightness and fading away. I am totally baffled. Is this the result of a capacitor charging up and then being discharged through the test lamp? (I’m showing off my in-depth knowledge of electrickery now. I know how to spell capacitor!)

Any help will be very much appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

Mike