Push buttton starter 200tdi

Hi all, just a little help to configure my new starter button on my 200tdi tray back . I have the push switch set up & the 4 wires that are in place now on the key starter, just need to know how too please.. 4 wire on ignition are

Brown solid

White solid

White red tracer

White orange tracer.

Pic below to show what I am trying to achieve.. the little switch panel I have has 2 switches 2 lights & 1 push button.

Thanks in advance, Kev.

post-21102-0-63990500-1402234193_thumb.jpg

post-21102-0-48539300-1402234312_thumb.jpg

post-21102-0-76107600-1402235241_thumb.jpg

The first thing you can do is to bin those Scotch Locks before you set fire to your loom. Use proper Lucar connectors with the correct sleeve to cover the connector. I crimp then solder.

The second thing, get a wiring diagram and work out what you need. That is easy.

Do you want the button to work with or without ignition ?

Scotch lock was there from before my time. It's only easy if you what's what & where it goes . With light would be preferred . I can wire most things like lights , fans ect , using relays & solder joints bla bla, but I am not to sure about this. Thanks.

Depends how you want it rigged up....

Are you still using the key? If you are then it's easy just put the push button between the White (IGN) and White-Red (Starter Relay) Wires. If you are not using the key switch then you need to rig up 3 switches including the accessory (I think it is the White-Orange, but I thought that was 300tdi). So you would need a toggle between Brown and White-Orange another between Brown and White and the push between White and White-Red

The lights you can do with as you want, up to you.

Please note though, the ignition switch is not fused

Oh and if you want better and faster answers explain what you want first.

And don't ask in capitals as it will be deemed as A, your shouting and B, you're demanding someone answer you, Please have patience someone will answer you when they see your question-If they have an answer for you, perhaps you should follow a wiring diagram there are plenty available on line or look in the tech archive and go from there.

John

Thought I had expand, I don't need a key start any longer, I have replaced it several times , but I keep jamming it up with cap in deep water & washing it off. So I thought put a push button starter on up higher so a bit more out the way.so no key.... no dash sped ext. I got the push button set up . If I could have a ignition light that would be great. Pic shows what I am working with. Thanks

• Like 1

RIGHT !!!

Get a relay.

Brown to 30

White/ red to 87

Black to 85 then earth

Now you need to make that relay work

White to 86 from starter button.

Brown to Ign switch to make it lve. So link the brown to one side of the ign switch then a white to the starter button

You could also go brown to the button and a white out.

The orange /white should go to the hazard switch. Is I do not have a wiring diagram, is that white/ orange live or not ?

PLEASE, please use a fused link to try everything out, then a test lamp to see what is live and not live

GET OUT.

I've done this to the best of my ability ??? Any burnt or fried wires are not my problem

HTH

RIGHT !!!

Get a relay.

Brown to 30

White/ red to 87

Black to 85 then earth

Now you need to make that relay work

White to 86 from starter button.

Brown to Ign switch to make it lve. So link the brown to one side of the ign switch then a white to the starter button

You could also go brown to the button and a white out.

The orange /white should go to the hazard switch. Is I do not have a wiring diagram, is that white/ orange live or not ?

PLEASE, please use a fused link to try everything out, then a test lamp to see what is live and not live

GET OUT.

I've done this to the best of my ability ??? Any burnt or fried wires are not my problem

HTH

Sorry....this is incorrect. Good idea on using a relay...The starter has it's own relay so you have just used a relay to switch a relay.

You need to relay the brown to white, that's the high current bit

Oh and you have missed out the aux circuit.

Best bet, grab a second hand haynes manual, it's not hard if you know how to rig up relays.

Adam

I have no idea what Kev is using....So I've sent how I would do it from scratch.

No the White is not that a high current. White is ignition from the Brown. It's the Brown and the White/ Red that have the heavier current...Any white wire there only needs to be 28/ 0.30

Anyway between us we should be able to get it done

As you say a manual, then you can play with a test lamp and fused links.

• 2 weeks later...