Broken Speedo Pinion

Hi guys.

The speedo cable on my 110 has siezed up and the bit the square end of the cable goes into has broken. Did some searching on the forum and I see that I have to pry the pinion out of the transfer box and I assume replace the drive gear. Can't find any pictures of the parts in any of my manuals so I'm just trying to make sure that the broken bit is part of the drive gear and that is what I need to replace.

DSCN3964_zps8953fdc9.jpg

I hope this thing doesn't give me too much grief trying to remove it. Have started soaking it with penitrating oil.

Thanks

Brett

Yes Mo, you may be right. Been soaking it, tapping away at it, hitting it and swearing at it, all to no avail. Tough spot to try to get at that's for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brett

Well, not having much luck. Thing does not want to budge. Have the brake back plate off now so a lot more room but no joy. Even the wood chisel is not doing the trick. Will have another crack at it tomorrow.

Brett

Update...

OK, I couldn't leave it alone. I went another round with it using the chisel, then used the wire wheel to clean it up a bit, then for the hell of it, grabbed it with a pair of vise grips, just to see. Well, didn't I see the little bugger move a little bit. Bit more wiggling up and down and the pinion finally slid out.

I was surprised to see the little gear was yellow, but then this gearbox did come out of a 90. I will order the blue one as is fitting for the 110 where the gearbox now resides.

• Like 1