Changing drivetrain between 90 and 110

I've got a friend with a 110 with a rather competitive drivetrain, and a 90 with more stock drivetrain.

Both the 110 and the 90 is MY 2000.

The 110 has ARB front and rear reinforced stub axles, CV junction, propshafts and stuff.

The rear of the 110 is salisbury

Now he is thinking if he should move interchange the drivetrains, building the 90 as a competition truck, and the 110 as a family car.

Has anyone done this, put a salisbury rear axle on a 90 ?

And will the rover rear axle from the 90 do on a 110 ?

Salisbury axles have been put under 90's by several people, custom rear prop is required as the drive flange is much further forward. Its a much heavier axle though, so you'd have much more unsprung weight.

Series 3's and 110 were fitted with Salisbury axles until relatively recently, I have a feeling it's TD5 era, maybe 2.4. I've seen mention of certain people in certain parts of the world needing to keep the original salisbury axle to pass vehicle regulations, whereas others have had no issue swapping to later axles. I have a feeling the 90 axle won't hack it, but I could be wrong, Series is my forte

IIRC I don't think the rover axle is legally rated high enough for the 110 max weight, until they used the p38 type one which was roughly 2004 ish? It's one of those things that would be absolutely fine in practice but if you had an accident it would likely give the insurance company a way to weasel out of paying! The only other difference is the prop lengths

Mike

It means it will break, as not strong enough for the max weight and extra strain from shifting a body that is much heavier than it was designed for.

There is a reason LR put a Salisbury on the back of a 109 and 110.

Yup, exactly what Bowie says, and mike confirms my thoughts about using a 90 axle under a 110. Couldn't remember the axle they swapped to or the year, like I said, Series is my forte, but I don know stuff about the others which is occasionally useful!

He can use a rear propshaft from a 200tdi 90 on his td5 90 with sailsbury this what I have on my 300tdi 90, he will also need to swap the spring mounts (4 bolts) over from the 110 7" springs to the 90 6" rear springs.

As has been said the 90 axle is not strong enough for the 110 neither is their a standard propshaft to fit it.

Will.