94 RR CLASSIS LWB swap to 300tdi

jbote1

Drove it around the block. Seems to be lacking some power, engine idles good but once I drove and throttled the pedal seems like no power is generated. It also started to struggle on the way back luckily made it to the drive way. Sounded like it was flooding or not getting fuel. I would throttle but nothing happens and the engine still sputters. It stalled at the driveway but started right up again.

Last week when I let it idle the engine seemed to take forever to warm up to temp, how ling does it take the tdi to warm up?

Back to the other topic, the fuel lines are new from the tank to the pump. Lift pump is also new and just have a sender unit in the tank. I don't think I am getting any air in the lines, don't see any leaks and it starts right up.

Any help or suggestions on where or what its doing would help. thanks

Found the problem one of the lines was pinched when I lowered the body on the chassis. Took a while and a lot of trouble shooting just because it idles fine, but ya problem starts when I rev up. Finally engine all well!!

Another set back though is that I did not check the front flange nuts on the T-case when I installed since it was rebuilt and the front prop shaft popped off. Mildly miffed but could have been a lot worse, was only 1/2 block from driveway. I ended up removing the other end of the prop shaft while lying on the middle of the road. I just shifted on diff lock and limped back home really slow. I hope that this was fine to do, was a little desperate at the time.

You can't really flood a diesel. How much is it smoking?

Not getting fuel could be, is the turbo to injection pump line there? Otherwise it won't adjust fuelling for boost, and will have almost no power at all.

yup ended up being a pinched line after much trouble shooting:)

• 3 months later...

title is now a diesel in california!!! been away had a lot go on in the vehicle. Front interior is almost done. Will be posting pic and a write up about the process soon.

• 6 months later...

have done several long trips up and down the Sierra's and Yosemite. 300 tdi was well worth spending the time and doing the swap myself. I have gotten to know my ride really well and so far no issues. The engine feels a lot looser now that it's broken in. I did a couple of tweaks on the injector pump and she is pulling great up hills and cruising on the flats with no problem. I am currently getting 24-26mpg which is awesome!! Pulling 75mph no problem on the freeway and 45-50mph on steep passes at 2800-3000rpm between 3rd and 4th pending. Of course witj all rovers, I have noticed a couple of leaks here and there on the engine, nothing drastic or draining:)

I am now working on finishing up small punchlist items I still have:)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been reading your thread. I've got to say I was a bit horrified to hear you were ripping the V8 out of the LSE for an oil burner, I hope you don't end up regretting that.

We've got both and yes, with UK prices the TDi is easier on the pocket but it's a much rougher car to drive. It's got enough poke and pulls a couple of tonnes quite easily, prefering to cruise at 55 when it's towing, any slower and you have to drop a gear.

But I also know how much heavier the LSE was, mine's got a TVR 5.0 in it which is why I've been saving for a new gearbox. I kept the air on mine and fitted Arnott air springs so I get an extra 3" of travel at the back but none of the driveline/steering issues you normally get with a lift of 2" or more.

Anyway, I'm stoked to see another RRC kept on the road, that's the main thing after all, use it and enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been reading your thread. I've got to say I was a bit horrified to hear you were ripping the V8 out of the LSE for an oil burner, I hope you don't end up regretting that.

We've got both and yes, with UK prices the TDi is easier on the pocket but it's a much rougher car to drive. It's got enough poke and pulls a couple of tonnes quite easily, prefering to cruise at 55 when it's towing, any slower and you have to drop a gear.

But I also know how much heavier the LSE was, mine's got a TVR 5.0 in it which is why I've been saving for a new gearbox. I kept the air on mine and fitted Arnott air springs so I get an extra 3" of travel at the back but none of the driveline/steering issues you normally get with a lift of 2" or more.

Anyway, I'm stoked to see another RRC kept on the road, that's the main thing after all, use it and enjoy it.

Been loving it and no regrets!! I am working on making it an overland vehicle and by where I drive around and take her and getting 24-28 mpg is awesome. Ya, the 4.2 definitely has more pick-up, but driving it up and down passes makes my trips and destinations very limited;). Cruise-wise I am going 60-65 mph on the freeway loaded with gear.

Thanks for reading the thread, been in and out of it and have not posted a lot from my process from beginning to where it is now.