How to distinguish rear hubs (drum brake type)

Hello everybody,

just after purchase I manged to break one of the hub studs and for last two years I'm driving on 4 studs only ('92, 110, 200tdi).

Now I've been offered new old stock hub. I wonder is there a way to check if it would fit my car without stripping hub from car and comparing directly?

Regards, Ivan.

Is it possible to remove broken stud without special workshop tools (press...)?

Any advice how to do it and what tools to use?

In case it is not complicated I would replace all studs on this hub because their threads seem to be a bit stretched (overtightening?).

Regards, Ivan

Thanks Pete3000,

in this post (and several linked to it) I've learned that stud replacement could be done with hub on vehicle (am I right?). But I wonder would hitting studs with hammer damage oil seals?

In topic http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=34407&hl=ruf000020 several p/n are mentioned related to different studs. Most of them share same dimension M16x1.5, 39mm.

I wonder can I purchase any of the mentioned p/n since one that suits my vehicle (FRC6139) seems least available?

Regards, Ivan

hubs can be left on, but drum needs to come off, doubt you'd damage the oil seal (or wheel bearing) but it's not much more of a job cost wise to check renew anyway while you are there. Use a brass drift and lump hammer.

get the drum off by taking the slotted screw out then wind a bolt into the other hole to press the drum off. Be careful though it may not be a metric thread, i.e don't go nuts at it, it should go 5 or six threads before it stops and you need to give the bolt more pressure to release the drum.

Different part numbers relate to the length or what they are now called, different numbers

FRC5926 is same as RUF00020 and 40mm

FRC6137 is 45mm

FRC7577 is 60mm

P.S to pull them back in use a socket and large washer and wheel on backwards to wind them through, the studs are splined so you should be able to line them up roughly when you push them in.