Turbo oil return leak.

Another day, another problem.

I've spent pretty much all day trying to get the turbo oil drain to seal.

I've used all of my gasket stash (5 allmakes PR2 PNT100030) and no matter what i do i cannot make it oil tight.

I've tried the gaskets both ways up, two together, different bolts, different ways of tightening the bolts and slightly higher torque than specified.

The faces of the return pipe look fine. Same with the mating face on the turbo housing. Both have been cleaned many times too.

I'm out of ideas now :(

Is the drain plugged between the top and the sump? If the oil can't make it to the block pressure will build up.

I don't think the drain is blocked. Wouldn't a blocked drain cause the turbo to dump oil into the exhaust/inlet?

I'll check the drain though to make sure.

Are you sure it is the gasket?

I just had a similar issue with the supply hose itself being incorrectly crimped, and allowing the oil to leak down on to the return hose intermittently.

I'm reasonably certain that the leak is from the gasket area. I get different leak rates depending on how i fit the gasket(s).

I've changed the upper copper washers and reseated the feed line to be sure it wasn't that.

The upper case on the turbo housing seems dry.