Driving position LR90 Pickup

Hi Guys,

I tried to google, but my english is to bad in order to limit the search result.

I would like to know any tricks to get a more comfortable driving/passenger position in my Pickup.

Its really my wife who complains the most, but I have to be honest, sometimes I also wish some more comfort.

I guess the main problem is the headrest since this touches the rear window when trying to adjust the back of the seat. I tried to bend the headrest fixture, but that does not seem to fix the problem. Moving the seat further forward would mean I can lean it back more, but then again, I am not the shortest person in the world....

Any suggestions, ideas....Thank!

P.S

I really want to keep my pickup, so solutions suggesting changing model is not welcome ;)

/Martin

Don't know whether seat rails would sort the problem with a pickup. They lift the seat up by about 25mm and set the seat mountings back - allowing you to set the seat about 70mm further back from standard. In my 110 CSW, I wouldn't do without them.

However, I doubt that the pickup would allow the seat to be set that far back and, if it did, it would make the headrest situation rather worse. Different seats?

Yes, I though about removing the headrest....I also never use them, even in my other cars. Only thing is of course if in a collision from behind. Would be nice to bang the back of your head into something soft rather then something hard. (I dont think I have the problem that my head goes over them...)

Other seats.....could be an idea. One common problem is also that the steering wheel is quite large, so even IF the driver could move the seat further forward, the legs will be jammed under the steering wheel.

I guess step one is to remove the headrest and see how it feels. Maybe if possible fasten a small headrest on the back of the cabin. Depends on where the window starts.

Hehe, fit a Volvo seat. Hmmmm sure I am from Sweden, but please dont mention the word Volvo. Cant stand those cars. :D

I am a little surprised that you both state to raise the seat. I would think your legs would be jammed even more below the steering wheel.

I will have a look later this afternoon. Maybe I am wrong!

Thanks so far!

Hehe, fit a Volvo seat. Hmmmm sure I am from Sweden, but please dont mention the word Volvo. Cant stand those cars. :D

I am a little surprised that you both state to raise the seat. I would think your legs would be jammed even more below the steering wheel.

I will have a look later this afternoon. Maybe I am wrong!

Thanks so far!

Sturdy Orthopaedic heated seat, what's not to like?

But seriously, the reason you have to go UP is the pedals can't move, the seat can't go back so the only options are go up or in to the centre.

Into the centre would make the pedals offset, and probably uncomfortable, so UP is the only other option.

Throw a cushion on the seat for a week and see how you get on.

i found a smaller steering wheel much better in my truck, especially after i changed the seat (which actually gave me less room).

The best mod i did however was remove the whole seat tub and fitted a flat floor with my own seat rails. The gave me a lot more room as i postiioned it to fit my build.

I also then had storage under both seats which fitted water proof boxes.

thanks

OK, after some investigation it seems I have room for my legs when I am driving. The "problem" is when I enter the car. Then the legs gets jammed until I have them at the pedals.

Hmmm, yes, I could build me some own rails to lift the seat a little. Maybe worth to test it first with a cusion or similar.

That will only solve my problem partly since I also want to be able to lean more backwards, (Just a little), but that could also temporary be solved by removing the headrest.

What about this. I dont think I understood it correctly :

The best mod i did however was remove the whole seat tub and fitted a flat floor with my own seat rails. The gave me a lot more room as i postiioned it to fit my build.

What did you take away?

Anyway, I got some great ideas..

Thanks

/Martin

Next time you are on a modern aeroplane take a look at how thin the seat back is compared to a typical LR seat. I was sitting on a flight the other day thinking you could gain at least three inches of extra space with a bit of care.

I dumped my TC and went to a van with the bulkhead removed to gain the leg room and to stop my dog looking so Pi£$%d off when he had to sit in the back ;-)

I made some seat runners to raise it about 1" and back 1 1/2" similar to the mud ones. I like a fairly vertical seat back though....

I'm about 6'3" btw......

Will.

Well I removed the head rest. Quite OK. But I think I will raise the seat an inch or so also. But I have some trouble with the screw holding the seat. WHY did they put phillip screws there??????????

Anyway, I also managed to recarpet my "complete" interior (Roof and rear sides). From old yellow/whiteish/dirty to nice black fabrik. Looks nice and smells nicer!!!

No, I actually have phillip screws between the rails and the box. This must have been an early solution which probably wasent to good. THere are also phillips between the seat and the rail, but they are big. These phillips are smaller. Probably changed to bolt on newer models.