Factory-fit split charge circuit?

While tracing mystery wires on our 127, I've tracked down a pair of wires going to what appears to be a factory-fit split-charge setup.

From the battery box there is a brown/white wire heading off to a Lucas 33RA relay (standard 60A relay) mounted on the bulkhead.

Wires going in are:

Large brown/white from battery box

Large brown from battery box

Small black

Small green

The black & green come from a 3-terminal connector on the passenger side by the heater which also contains a small brown wire.

It's a 1988 127 and this appears to be part of the factory-fit loom.

split_charge.jpg

Does anyone have a diagram to confirm this, or anything from the optional extras part of a manual that describes it?

Correct. that's the split charge relay unit.

parts book page

http://lrcat.com/#31/4/52838

IIRC there's a 3 way connector adjacent to the inner side of the heater box, it should have 3 wires green, black/slate tracer,brown.the plug opposite the number 1 in the parts page connects to it.

I will check my 110 & confirm with a photo/list which wires fit where on the split charge relay.

First some terminal & wire info

Large terminal marked 30 = thick plain Brown wire to vehicles Primary [start] battery Positive terminal

Large terminal marked G = thick Brown/White trace wire to 2nd battery positive terminal

small terminal marked 85 = Plain Green wire [fully insulated] spade terminal

small terminal marked 86 = Black/Slate trace wire [fully Insulated] spade terminal

last 2 go with in the split charge sub loom to the 3 pin side by side rubber covered socket adjacent to heater unit inner face. [see photo with my finger behind the connection.]

post-20-0-13899300-1405788601_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-16736700-1405788624_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-84901000-1405788636_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-25297300-1405788649_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-14278200-1405788859_thumb.jpg

Cheers Ralph, you're a star!

I haven't found the "switch, volt sensitive" yet, I assume the skinny brown wire from the 3-pin connector by the heater goes to it, is there a wiring diagram for this kit?

I'm trying to make sure I know what all the wires in the battery box do before I start connecting or disconnecting things, so far we have factory loom, factory optional split-charge and then military ambulance additions... I've already removed the PO's three-battery-split-charge setup for now just to simplify things!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

this seems to be the only post on the net where some mentions the brown/white trace leads with the split charge system. I have a AMR3135 split charge harness and am trying to figure out how to hook it up. The only information that I found that was close to what I have, is here in western's post.

Has anyone seen this late factory version of the split charge system installed?

I am struggling to figure out how to hook it up.

a) I am unsure whether the black lead is there to connect the two battery terminals

b) on one end of the harness, the eyed lead ends are of equal length, so it seems they hook up to some sort of terminal connector instead of a battery; they just aren't long enough. However, the parts cat doesn't list any such part.

Do you have any idea how this is supposed to be hooked up:

5a56092cd7e9a_SplitChargeAMR3135.thumb.jpg.05d99dff13996d59b36729df85729706.jpg

I'd be incredibly glad if someone would have any type of information on this...

Only further info I can find for loom AMR3135 is it fits vehicles from chassis number MA939976  to WA159961 which would be 300Tdi & onwards maybe its meant for Td5 vehicles which have a different alternator/battery sensing system, IIRC 300tdi & Td5 have underbonnet [engine bay] fuse boxes with big maxi fuses in, maybe they ring ends go to terminals in that fusebox, no idea why it has plain black wires, usually plain black on 90/110/Defenders is earth/ground 

Having a look at what you have in the loom, you'll need SRB600 relay...

http://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/brands/lucas/genuine-lucas-srb600-33419-12v-33ra-60a-4-pin-split-charge-relay

this will take care of your two small ring terminal br & br/wh and the two spade connectors.

The brown with (?) is that a threaded rod?, if so that will replace the battery clamp bolt on the primary battery, large ring terminal br/wh to 2nd battery.

Black wire...Looks like an earth to me

VSR...can't seem to find a part number but maybe Ralph can?

Gr/bk wire...no idea. Looking at a td5 loom the Gr/bk does the low fuel warning light on the cluster. It'll be ignition switched..is this Gr/bk on the VSR multiplug? Not many bullet connectors on a td5 loom though.

11 minutes ago, Scotts90 said:

Knew you'd have that info ;)

Almost covered the keyboard in tea when I saw the price of it though!! £200 for a VSR! Jeeso...

Yeah same reaction, I'm sure I've got a couple of those relays I've reclaimed from one place or another knocking around too!