ZF6HP26 info

Nigelw

I have for sale an Ashcroft ZF4HP24 with ZF4HP26 internals.

As far as I was able to tell the 26 was/is an upgraded 24 to allow for the increased power that the upmarket Jaguar and BMW 12 cylinder models required. The oil pump is larger by 15mm, the clutches are bigger diameter and the helical gears stronger, that said I dont think the 26 will mate with the Land Rover transfer box, which is why Ashcrofts go the the expence of fitting the 26 internals into the older 24 box, with the 26 oil pump the box increases its length by the 15mm I mentioned before so a longer front propshaft and shorter rear propshaft are required and the mounting bracket holes ovalised to allow the mounting rubbers to fit..

I was looking to the 6HP26 as I was looking for 2 extra gears, a lower starting off gear and a higher cruising gear with matching gears in the middle.

Sort of ideally not being electronic like the 4HP24 that can be just about mated to anything, the only thing letting down the 4HP24 (only in my opinion) is the higher revs at motorway cruising speeds, I found it ideal for country roads and traffic, off road it was awesome, locking it down to 1st and 2nd giving you the ability to use it as transmission breaking on slopes and the lower locked gears gave predictable grunt

What is "compushift" all about then Ross? What sort of of signal inputs are needed to run such a transmission?

Supplied by Ashcroft, made by an American company.

it's plug and play for a 4hp24 I believe. Not sure how many gears it can handle and how you program it for those gears ( if possible) , worth looking at though!

Pretty sure the only external sensor it uses is throttle position, the rest are from within the box ( speed sensor etc) being a 6hp26 the sensors may well be similar/ the same as a 24

Interesting project, keep us updates!

What engine do you want to mate it to?

Lots of digging around into this and I am really miffed by the high prices for just the trnsmissions, seems I can get a whole cat B write off donor car with engine, gearbox and everything I would need for a conversion for not an awful lot more than transmission and controller :o

seems the easiest thing to do will be to think on the engines and cars using this gearbox and see where that leads me.

Original idea, buy new high rot Disco very cheap, sell engine and main box, keep transfer case and look at modern petrol engines to mate to the ZF 6 and either spud shaft and custom mating or divorced LT230 and enjoy the build and driving it once it is finished.

Still pottering with my Rusty as daily driver, and yes it hurts to pay €2200/yr tax :angry2: worth it to be this side of the border and be able to build something to drive on the road though.

I tried, I was told that unless I had a business to register him under then he had to be personnen wagen(think that was the title, not got it in front of me at the mo).

Looking into what I need to do to become zelfstanding and start my own BV but for now it just goes out the bank monthly, insurance is cheaper than equivalent vehicle in Belgium though.

Still got loads of ideas on this but for what it will cost, it might be a while before vehicles and parts are purchased :wacko: