'99 D2 TD5 not starting.

squaddiefox

Engine developed a misfire, was shut off and towed to me. It's the father in laws.

I have cleaned the ECU plugs of oil as they were coated, replaced the injector loom to try and stop it happening again. Checked fault codes, none at all, so try to start. The engine turned but the fuel pump made a racket and it didn't start so I have changed the fuel pump, checked on auto logic and an old fault of fuel pressure had appeared. So, as I had one I changed the fuel pressure regulator, Wiped off the code and checked it now has the proper fuel pressure at the rail. Tried to start, nothing again, turning but not even an attempt to cough. Tried tow starting nothing, but it did pressurise the cooling system to the point that when I undid the cap I got soaked. Hoping it was an airlock. I have changed the fuel filter as I read it can let air in if it's old and I checked that the injectors are all firing. Primed up the fuel system the book way and tried starting again one of it. Tried easy start and it coughed and tried to fire then just carried on turning over. Only thing I haven't checked is the injector washers and the injectors themselves.

Anyone got any ideas? It is doing my bloody head in now.

You have done just about everything so do the injector washers and seals, but I think you have compression concerns, either the block is worn or the head or a combination of the two, I would have started with a compression test dry and wet, and then a leak off test.

If it's pressurising the cooling-system noticeably just from engine-cranking/tow-starting attempts I think you have either a cracked head/block or a headgasket failure.

As has been said, a compression/leakdown test is called for.

I was just hoping that wouldn't be the case. This was my diagnosis but another mechanics opinion is that it is fuel related as it doesn't even cough or try to start on turning over.

Not sure if it is worth doing injectors etc to him. Piece of carp TD5.

if it pass the compression test another suspect for this kind of non-starting issue could be the crank position sensor or the main relay R9, the relay is easy to check swap with R8 heated screen or test...for the crank sensor it's harder, or you sap it with a known good one or measure it's input to ECU with AC voltmeter and there must be 2-3V while cranking...if this one is fubar'd the ECU doesnt open the injectors...even if the CKP sensor must trigger the MIL i saw cases when it didnt especially if the engine didnt run enough for the ECU to log a fault

From your description of the tow starting there would appear to be little doubt that compression pressure is escaping.This alone is good reason for removal of the head for inspection of the head,gasket and block.

The only problem with TD5's is the high cost of major components to repair it.Its a bit rich to complain about the engine in a 15 year old four wheel drive - isn't the industry standard 7 years for cars now ? maybe its done quite well.Could do again if its properly repaired.

I've just rebuilt a V8 for the cost it's going to be in parts for the head gasket on a TD5. And it's more of a pita to be honest. I really hope he hasn't cooked it. Found out earlier on this evening he actually drove it back from London with the misfire it was getting worse then when he tried to start the car the next day it wouldn't start. Then it got towed to us. Got to love it when people tell the whole story.

Just done my head gasket, parts (and including head pressure test & skim) cost me less than €700, and I replaced all filters, gaskets, inj. seals and a few non essential bits like water pump. Can you really rebuild a V8 for that?! Back before my Td5 I sold my two V8 lumps because I couldn't price up rebuild parts for less than €1500 - €2k each. Anyway I made a list of parts and got the bulk from the cheapest OEM suppliers I could find, the small stuff came direct from LR. Can send you it if that'd help?

If the only time it even coughed was with easy start than doesn't that point to lack of fuel? All the other stuff sounds like head gasket though.

did you completely ignore that crank sensor thing?...your choice, just be aware that on "easy start" it will cough no matter if the injectors are working or not cos that spray explodes by itself due to compression in the combustion chamber as you crank the engine...as long as you have 4 bar pressure at the regulator with ignition on there is enough fuel in it just that IMO the management doesnt open the injectors.

Just done my head gasket, parts (and including head pressure test & skim) cost me less than €700, and I replaced all filters, gaskets, inj. seals and a few non essential bits like water pump. Can you really rebuild a V8 for that?! Back before my Td5 I sold my two V8 lumps because I couldn't price up rebuild parts for less than €1500 - €2k each. Anyway I made a list of parts and got the bulk from the cheapest OEM suppliers I could find, the small stuff came direct from LR. Can send you it if that'd help?

If the only time it even coughed was with easy start than doesn't that point to lack of fuel? All the other stuff sounds like head gasket though.

That's a lot! I think all my bits came in at about £200 but it didn't need anything major. And I get everything at trade and sometimes even cheaper.

did you completely ignore that crank sensor thing?...your choice, just be aware that on "easy start" it will cough no matter if the injectors are working or not cos that spray explodes by itself due to compression in the combustion chamber as you crank the engine...as long as you have 4 bar pressure at the regulator with ignition on there is enough fuel in it just that IMO the management doesnt open the injectors.

No, I didn't completely ignore it, I haven't actually looked at it through being so Mildly miffed off with it! I'm not touching it until Monday when I will check the crank sensor, but no faults in the ECU doesn't fill me with any hope that it's that easy, it will get a compression test if it isn't crack sensor. If that's good then I will do the injector seals. If I still get no joy, it's getting cut up. I have been told it gets minimal money on it. It's cost almost as much as it's worth in the last few months.

Decided to try one last thing with this POS, it now runs.

I towed it at 65mph and had it in fourth/fifth gear and aft about 3 miles it started to cough splutter, then run with a misfire and cut out and then towed it another mile or so and it now starts off the key. Seems that it had that much air in the fuel system that it couldn't purge it self. It also didn't help that all other parts were changed I don't think. But I had already tried tow starting it after having confirmed there were no faults on it and everything was working as it should.

I think it was the driver, I found out he had driven it until it pretty much didn't run anymore but didn't say first of all. I think it was a combination of old parts failing or close to end of life then when it started going wrong and he carried on it just dragged air in through the fuel pump and I think he was lucky to get home without running out of fuel. Running on vapours.