Best tyre size for standard series III 109

xychix

Hi all,

Currently my series III 109 runs on 7.50R16 112L tyres. As they have to be replaces for MOT I tend to buy a new set. As it is my hobby car I will never wear these tyres out. Therefore I don't want to buy tyres that seem to big (current ones seem to hit the chassis a little bit on the rear end of the right front tyre when steering right fully.

What is the standard size?

What is the bigges tyre used without problems? (I like my current size for it's acceptable road speed and spot on speedometer)

7.50 (the size you have fitted) is the correct size. Replace the current ones like for like or perhaps replace them with the metric equivalent size which is 235/85 16

You can adjust the steering lock stops to prevent the tyre from fouling

750-16s are the standard fitment for 109s. There are points to adjust the steering lock stops so that they don't rub the chassis. I think they are on the front axle in the swivel hub area.

You could go to 265/75/16 as I did on my Stage 1 V8 but it's really up to personal preference. It came with those tyres so I just ran with them.

HTH

Josh

265/75/16 would be wider right?

A french site gave my 225/75/16 as alternative. I like a small (rover look alike) M/T tyre, not something wide like one would put on a BMW x5 ;)

I don't want to eat more of my turning circle as it is already horrendous. I can't even get in my driveway in one turn, while I can do it in 1 turn with a heavy 5 meter trailer behind my ford transit

thanks all for the quick replies by the way :) :) :)

Wider and taller I believe. (Marginally)

The turning circle is truly dreadful on a 109 I agree, fond memories of million-point-turns on narrow streets!

post-38694-0-91054100-1407567841_thumb.jpg

It still looks like an LR. No X5 anywhere to be seen! ;)

Keep the 7.50 x 16. Narrow tyre makes steering lighter. I like the avon rangemasters. It's a good general purpose tyre, wears well and keeps the MPG reasonable. Not the best in mud, but quieter on the road for that.

G.

7.50r 16 or 235/85 r 16 virtually no difference . Adjust your lock stops to prevent fouling , if you want a bit more lock fit FC rims (more offset) allows a little tighter turning circle with standard tyres. Its a 4wd so you are never going to get a 2wd type turning radius ,

It looks like you have the standard Land Rover 5.5 inch wheels.

The manufacturers minimum rim width for a 235/85 x 16 tyre is 6 inch so unless you want to buy new wheels, you should stick to the 7.50 x 16 tyres suggested, as they are the correct fitment.

Regards,

Diff.

I agree with all of the above - 7.50 will suit you best. 235/85 are a little wider, which is not ideal for Series rims (other than 1-ton or FC) and will not help steering loads or fuel economy. 225/75 would be an alternative for 6.50s on 88"s.

... and while the offset rims regain the lost steering lock, they make turning the steering wheel heavier still, so you you get a double whammy from the wider tyres. The thicker tyres will also reduce forward visibility more in the case of a bonnet mounted spare. 7.50s are better if you can find a decent quality radial in the right tread.

Jeez you guys need to man up a bit - 235/85 R16's are not exactly unsteerable on a Series, they're a little bit heavier than standard.

1st outing with the 109 I was on 9.00x16 Petlas and the PAS wasn't plumbed, that built up the arm muscles a bit but even then it wasn't unusable.

• Like 1

235, even with offset rims or spacers, are fine running around the country, but become a little irksome when manouevering in town, especially parking. It's fine having a heavy steering vehicle as a toy, Fridge, but as an everyday vehicle it become less fun. I still manage with mine, but my wife finds it too heavy to use unless compelled, and I'm not getting any younger myself.

I've never had problems parking the 109, turning it in tight spaces (with a trailer) etc. The hardest car I had to park was a non PAS Peugeot 306, MAN that WAS a shoulder builder.

Just choose your line and you're grand.

G.

It's fine having a heavy steering vehicle as a toy, Fridge

If I could commute every day in it I would, power steering or not. I was just amused that you seem to suggest 7.50's are fine with no PAS but 235/85's which are only a little bit bigger are absolutely useless. :huh:

My daily commute serie 2a sits on 255x85x16 and I find the steering very light.

Not heavier than the 235x85x16 I had before.

I used to own a 110 without PAS and that had definitely heavier steering.

Eric.

I presume these are mud terrains? I had this experience also, the profile blocks just bend when you steer, rather than drag like a roadgoing tyre.

I also find that a larger offset (as in wider track) actually helps, as the wheel will roll over the road, rather than drag.

One mod I did to my series 3 was to fit grease nipples to the upper swivel pin. This drastically reduced the steering effort. Also top up the idler bearing unit with oil occasionally.

Daan