Series One Rear Tub Support

Team Idris

I've been delving into the S1 vs S2/3 tub support thing. I recon I've cobled somthing that will do the job, using two supports from Paddocks. It's not perfect by any means, but a lot more work wouldn't get it much closer, it's just wrong in every way!

You need two so that you can make one with bigger pitch but only use two welds :)

S1TubSupportAug2014b_zpsfc5d3cf1.jpg

S1TubSupportAug2014a_zps17930f81.jpg

No worries. There are 3 of these galvanised parts under the tub. The front and back have bits of tub frame that keep the bulk of mud out. The middle one doesn't, so it rots. You could buy galvo ones once, then steel only, then nothing, as time progressed.

The series two part should be the same in theory, but it looks like they jacked up the tub and moved the floor spars. So if you're S1 tub-support has disappeared and you don't want to abuse the situation too much, then the S2/S3 parts are a good donor for a new part. But its maybe 3-4 hours of fab.

Are yours good? They are quite a rare part, so well worth looking after with a new zinc finish. (or grease the hell out of them) :)

Oh, I must be lucky then? Mine were surface rust only, they appeared to have been galvanised once?

I even found that they had the rubber pads still on each one!

So far I have a rough bit of checker plate from a SII hybrid as a floor so the supports are not attached to the floor so I better make sure that they don't disappear if they are hard to come by!

Marc

PS I better look at your pictures for future reference then!

Rubber pads, but not canvas, could be the key to their quality? Maybe they have been changed? They should be riveted to the body and to the ally spars under the floor. That's maybe 10 rivets for each one. Even my rotted out one had to be chiselled off :)

• 2 weeks later...

Rubber pads, but not canvas, could be the key to their quality? Maybe they have been changed? They should be riveted to the body and to the ally spars under the floor. That's maybe 10 rivets for each one. Even my rotted out one had to be chiselled off :)

Sorry not checked the post for a while, mine are rubber and riveted onto the spars.

They may have been changed when it was rebuilt in 1980!

Now I come to think of it, I can't remember how the canvas ones are stuck on. I might be able to see better in the autumn, as I am fairly sure I'll have to lift the tub to fit the new support. - Was offroading/trialing yesterday, so S1 is on the back burner again.

The pads were originally fixed with a bifurcated rivet. New pads are available for 90's/110's - but they're shorter. The bifurcated rivets were unobtainable when I wanted some. There is no recess for the rivet heads in the pads (which were a hardish rubber) so even if properly installed the rivet heads would have hit the supports on the chassis before the rubber did - so I used pop rivets.