Lower Ball Joint Discovery 2

elmscroft

Hi,

Friendly MoT man failed the Discovery, because there is a "nick" in the rubber boot on the ball joint located on the lower part of the hub carrier.

Take it I can get away undoing all the associated ball joints and lowering it enough to replace the boot? ball joint is clean and ok.

At present cannot shift the Tension collet which is only meant to be nipped up to 5Nm unless that is wrong.

Any ideas welcome, thought this was going to be quick job, move on. How wrong!

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

Update is, whilst i tried to take off as little as possible, in the end it was drive shaft out as one with hub and sensor, this gave good access to ball joints. These were very tight to release, but once they were, it was relatively plain sailing.

Inspected ball joints both very clean.

Just waiting to borrow a big torque wrench for drive nut and hoping ABS light resets itself.

As is usually the case I probably spent as much time looking to make it easier, than it did to do the job. total cost about £30.

Thanks for your replies.