R380 3rd Gear Rattle

Paddy_SP

I noticed last night that my 300Tdi Disco 1 had started to rattle in 3rd gear. It's sweet as anything in all the other gears, but despite endless searches on here and via Google, I can't find anything that is similar to this problem. It makes the noise whether it's under load or not - it even rattles if I coast it with the clutch in.

It's obvious from the number of threads on various websites that loads of people have had issues with 5th - mostly due to a history of extensive towing, and a few have had problems with 4th. But I've found nothing about 3rd!

So - my question is simply, can anyone here please help me by coming up with a diagnosis?

I'm guessing here but in the venerable R380 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th gears all have dual syncro rings, 5th has only one. If 3rd gear rattles but engages without grinding I'd suspect that the (first) inner bronze syncro cone has collapsed, this would allow its matching friction ring to become "loose" and rattle. Do an oil change and see if there is a lot of bronze powder or filings in the oil.

I'm guessing here but in the venerable R380 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th gears all have dual syncro rings, 5th has only one. If 3rd gear rattles but engages without grinding I'd suspect that the (first) inner bronze syncro cone has collapsed, this would allow its matching friction ring to become "loose" and rattle. Do an oil change and see if there is a lot of bronze powder or filings in the oil.

Many thanks - that is most helpful! :)

As above I would start with draining the oil and seeing what's in it and what's on the magnetic catcher on the fill plug, drain into a perfectly clean and clear container and see what settles on the bottom over night is easiest! Or you can pass it through a paper filter.

• 7 years later...

Hi Paddy…did you ever resolve the issue with 3rd gear rattle? 

I have an R380 gearbox in my Morgan Plus 4 with a similar issue - a rattle in 3rd gear, though mine comes in on the move only, between about 2500 and 3000RPM. Not before and disappears after.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Cheers

Gwyn