Defender Bike carrying solutions?

After literally a decade of not riding a bike (I used to a lot), I have gone a bit nuts and bought myself one. :blink:

Now, I don't mind hooning about the local country lanes on the way to good trails etc, but my wife is less keen so driving the bikes there would be preferable.

My new bike is a 29er and i don't think it will fit in the back with another bike, so does anyone have any experiences of any decent external carrying solutions for a 90- if such a thing even exists?

90 is a bog standard hardtop if that makes any kind of difference.

Cheers!

I have one called a (iirc) saris bones. Fitted really nicely on the back of a 90, arching over the spare wheel and really solid.

4CE2195A-903F-499C-B4E4-6EBC17BB2CE5.jpg

The only downside was not being able to open the door with it fitted - but in truth that never seemed an issue.

I have used MaxxRaxx on D3's and Range Rover classics. Can mount up to 5 bikes, and pivots down for access into boot on those.

There is a version with a cranked upright that I would think should fit round the spare. This is the 2 bike version. http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/bike_racks_car_cycle_carriers_products/info_4x4_max2_flange.html

I don't have one - but I've seen a carrier intended to strap on to the back of hatchbacks with two long straps round the door top to bottom. This was attached to the rear door of a Defender around the spare wheel.

I may be wrong, but I think it came from Halfords. It was adjustable enough to cope with just about anything!

Si

Something like that - except entirely hung off the door. Fitted to a hatchback you would be able to open the back.

IIRC there were hooks at the top which clipped over the edge of the door so it wouldn't sag.

I've been meaning to see if I can find something similar!

Guest wunntenn

Fit a swingaway spare wheel carrier, bolt a rough frame onto it, hang bikes off it. Opens with the door, puts all the strain onto the lower chassis rather than the back door hinges. Keeps bikes high, and prevents errant parkers bashing into them in the supermarket carpark as well. Here's one.

There is only one if you want yo protect both your bike and landy from being knocked about and scratches FIAMMA 4X4 great racks. Hope this is ok to say on site but on Ebay at mo is one for £85 free postage (The actual rack is the first pic) the second pic is a buy it now one for £150 collection only The rack new is £200-£250 new

Ebay item number 121368646338 £85

Ebay item number 271579059354 £150

Thay carry TWO bikes the wheels of the bike sits in a channel which is extendable/adjustable and the wheels are strapped to the channel with webbing or quick release straps and then the frame is held by two claps with quick release straps. All soft so no paint run on your bike.

The bike is very very secure and stable as is the rack which is held in place with 3 adjustable webbing straps BUT....you need a door mounted or swing away carrier wheel for it to be mounted it on

post-10229-0-07603600-1408396019_thumb.jpg

post-10229-0-06680200-1408396050_thumb.jpg

To add to the above found a couple pics of some fitted ...Note the first pic is the bolt on kind (perminate fixed) the second pic is with the better strap on removable kind....all so when not in use the rack folds up......No I don't work for them LOL just really rate the racks

post-10229-0-24086300-1408396829_thumb.jpg

post-10229-0-64882800-1408396883_thumb.jpg

I know you asked about external solutions but for what it's worth, i've had 3 big bikes in the back of a 90 - they sat nicely across the wheel arches with the wheels removed.

I'm always a bit nervous of external racks when the bike is worth more than the car.... :wacko:

"I'm always a bit nervous of external racks when the bike is worth more than the car...."

Dan110 either dam good bikes or real rough Landy then lol .......

I use one of those steel cable locks which threads round the carrier, bike and spare wheel to protect me bike and carrier .......Yes yes I know some one could cut it but in reality how many people are walking about with a pair of cable cutters and if there that keen is a Landy rover security .....(landy security Joke that is)...LOL (windows, Doors) really going to stop them