rear fog lights won't work!

I have a defender 200tdi and the rear fog lights are not working. I have checked connections for rear light bulbs and changed both units as both the red terminal pins had corroded. However with the new units they still don't work. Plus no power supply coming through to them?

I have checked the fuses. The 6th fuse is fine. The horn works when 1st fuse (20A) for horn and fog is removed? Not sure how?

I have also checked the terminals inside the fog light switch and cleaned them. Still no life?

This is really racking my brain and can't seem to think of any ideas?

Can someone please give any advice? The MOT has run out and this needs to be fixed before it goes in.

Thanks!

I got sent the above today, think it should have gone in the forum, can any one advise

kidoletatu

Don't discount the switch itself, my 20 odd year old switch had clagged up contacts and wouldn't work for an mot until i rattled the swtich back and forwards to wear the grime off. The switch is a two pin jobby so you can remove the intrument shroud and bridge the loom with a wire to try the foglights. Wire trace should be red/yellow after switch think it's blue or blue/red to feed the switch with 12v once the headlights are on via the blue wiring

Some Defenders have an extra inhibitor relay in the [rear] fog-light circuit that's activated by a feed from the parking-light circuit.

The idea of this is to stop you driving with the fog-lights on but only your parking-lights (or dim-dip headlights) on.

Given how infrequently rear fog-lights are actually used it's not unusual for the contacts in the switches/relay/appropriate fuse to get a bit 'green' with surface corrosion.

I had a flickering brake light that decided to come on randomly, including when parked up...turned out to be a wiring bodge done when someone changed the rear crossmember, the brake light wire was shorting to the permanent live feed. I think the reverse light circuit had gone open circuit as well. There were 15 or so red crimps all wrapped up in electrical tape that had gone green and crusty, so it might be worth looking for something similar...