After Christmas treasure hunt

GBMUD

OK chaps. Since nobody except Tim has a really shiney vehicle I have set a route (still needs a run round to time it) which should be suitable for all who have entered. Tim - uncle Albert may need to have the T-cut out in the new year but there will be no deep scratches. There will be some water, mostly puddles with one (I think) ford - all less then 50cm depth. I believe that the course could be driven, with care, in an unmodified Defender, Disco1/2, Rangerover1/2. Ithers may have more trouble...

There will be a notice to drivers delivered before the event - once I have the route finalised - by PM. Hope that is OK with everyone. Marshals will receive a seperate set of details, also by PM. I cannot get onto the danger area of Salisbury plain until, IIRC, the 23rd of December due to the army playing "war" - they seem to be playing at artillery just now. That means that the drivers/marshals notes may not make an appearance until after Christmas. If that causes a problem, due to not being in work etc., please let me know how I can contact you.

I know lots of people need to plan their journey in advance. I have selected Andover as the start point for the event and Shaftsbury as the end. I hope this is OK for everyone... or you will be dissapointed! :) The exact start point and time will be detailed in the notice to drivers, expect it to be about 9am though with, I expect, a daylight finnish.

Any questions in the meantime, please post up here and we can all share in the answer.

Chris

OK chaps. Since nobody except Tim has a really shiney vehicle I have set a route (still needs a run round to time it) which should be suitable for all who have entered. Tim - uncle Albert may need to have the T-cut out in the new year but there will be no deep scratches. There will be some water, mostly puddles with one (I think) ford - all less then 50cm depth. I believe that the course could be driven, with care, in an unmodified Defender, Disco1/2, Rangerover1/2. Ithers may have more trouble...

There will be a notice to drivers delivered before the event - once I have the route finalised - by PM. Hope that is OK with everyone. Marshals will receive a seperate set of details, also by PM. I cannot get onto the danger area of Salisbury plain until, IIRC, the 23rd of December due to the army playing "war" - they seem to be playing at artillery just now. That means that the drivers/marshals notes may not make an appearance until after Christmas. If that causes a problem, due to not being in work etc., please let me know how I can contact you.

I know lots of people need to plan their journey in advance. I have selected Andover as the start point for the event and Shaftsbury as the end. I hope this is OK for everyone... or you will be dissapointed! :) The exact start point and time will be detailed in the notice to drivers, expect it to be about 9am though with, I expect, a daylight finnish.

Any questions in the meantime, please post up here and we can all share in the answer.

Chris

Chris, found an ace navigator, we will be up for the cup!

I have selected Andover as the start point for the event and Shaftsbury as the end.

Chris I don't recognise those two names as towns in Devon. Please confirm that you are not running this even beyond the Devon borders as neither I nor my navigator have passports at the moment and we don't like going abroad

Chris,

Can you confirm which maps are required for the treasure hunt?

Cheers

Mark

I will do it now by PM so that everybody sees it even if they do not look in here. The answer is Landranger numbers; 173 Swindon and Devizes and 184 Salisbury and the Plain.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone needing to know to arrange lifts, car swapping etc., I have finally finished reccy-ing the route and I have selected a finishing point, The Half Moon pub in Shaftsbury. It is at the roundabout at the junction of the A350 and the A30 at grid reference ST872225. There is an ample carpark there, although the landlord (a Landrover enthusiast, told me he would not accept Jap stuff in his carpark!) is expecting another large group of LR owners earlier in the day. They may have dispersed by the time we get there.

I have not had any reply from some of the people I have PM'd details to. I will need a telephone number I can use to get hold of you during the day should that be necessary (due to a problem with part of the route for example) however you can give me that on the morning of the event. IF YOU CANNOT MAKE IT FOR ANY REASON THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE HOPING FOR A SPACE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP AND THEN THEY CAN COME ALONG INSTEAD.

Thanks

Chris

For anyone needing to know to arrange lifts, car swapping etc., I have finally finished reccy-ing the route and I have selected a finishing point, The Half Moon pub in Shaftesbury. It is at the roundabout at the junction of the A350 and the A30 at grid reference ST872225. There is an ample carpark there, although the landlord (a Landrover enthusiast, told me he would not accept Jap stuff in his carpark!) is expecting another large group of LR owners earlier in the day. They may have dispersed by the time we get there.

I have not had any reply from some of the people I have PM'd details to. I will need a telephone number I can use to get hold of you during the day should that be necessary (due to a problem with part of the route for example) however you can give me that on the morning of the event. IF YOU CANNOT MAKE IT FOR ANY REASON THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE HOPING FOR A SPACE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP AND THEN THEY CAN COME ALONG INSTEAD.

Thanks

Chris

Oh bejesus, back to my old school town, couple times drunk in there ;) what time was the gathering again?

Oh.. Got water pump replaced yesterday.. Don't tell me I'm going to need wipers too ! LOL

May have to have navigator on the bonnet swishing them back and forth or just calling directions back into the car ! :)

Inverter now out of battery box so hopefully that'll be ok for the day.... (note to self: Pack dingy and oars...)

(Or just head to the pub and blag the offroad stories...) :hysterical:

Since Marcus has had to back out, I have asked BigSi110 by PM if he would still like a place - I am keen to see if he is as big as BigSimonR :). If anyone knows BigSi110 and can PM me his mobile number I would be obliged.

In the event of him being unable to take up a place at such short notice or if I do not hear from him by say 2100 this evening, is there anyone else who would like to come along - bearing in mind that you may not get the all clear until after 2100 tonight? First come first served.

I was sure that there was someone else interested but I cannot find reference to it in the threads... Since I have made up 12 entrants packs it would be nice to have 12 cars there.

Thanks

Chris