6 digit VIN-number

greenstream

6 digits is not enough. I think the current standard is 17, which includes not only the manufacturer and the place of build, but also the model type. I suspect that the 6 digits are the place of that vehicle in the production run, which doesn't tell you much.

The most commonly quoted on-line analysis tool is Calvin, but that will probably see a 6 digit number as invalid.

As you see, i haven't done much research here, my response is mostly 'top of the head' stuff.

HTH

The seventeen digit vin came in worldwide (except usa) in 1980

An eight digit chassis numbering system with suffix letters was used from 62 to 79

The first, second, and third digits indicate the model and specification.

• 241-258,260-324 = Series IIA 88" & 109"
    325-339 = Series IIB (110 Inch Forward Control)
    340-354 = Series IIA 109"
    5424 = Series IIA 88 Station Wagon (US Model) 259, 901-950 = Series III
    951-955 & 895 = Lightweight
    956-965 = 101 Inch Forward Control
    355, 356, 358 = Range Rover

The remaining five digits starting with 00001 indicate the serial number.
The suffix letter indicates design modifications.
Note: The year, or model-year of manufacture have no identification number.

HTSH

• 3 years later...

My range rover also have 6 digit VIN number. It is a PROTOTYPE . They made 26 prototypes. The first registration of my car is indicated as January 1981, but this car is model 1980 if not 1979. In South Africa Leyland was build up some cars from the parts from UK. Some parts was made by Rolce Royce (if I write corectly), Jaguar and Lucas. I bought  my car from the first owner....he said that he paid for that car more than for Rolce Royce ( if I wrote corectly). It is pity that in South Africa they did not care about the history....to keep as record all cars they made. It is useless to try to check VIN number on diferent website....they all junk as they can not read  vintage vehicle....Calvin is saying as prototype "Defender?"....so also not able to read. My car is in daily use from 37 years.

20131207_132002(1).jpg

Range Rovers where built in several countries, both before and after the current VIN standard was introduced around 1980, and even afterwards they made up thier own numbers.  I have several South African Range Rovers and Defenders here, all with a mix of chassis numbers and VIN numbers.   If it's a South African 1982 Range Rover for example, it will not have an EU VIN number, usually a 6 digit serial number and eight digit chassis number. 

Does your chassis plate say made in UK or elsewhere? 

hang on a minute - this thread was started in 2014 by someone with one post so you might not get a response Enri... 

Edited by Eightpot

On 9-4-2018 at 2:01 PM, Eightpot said:

hang on a minute - this thread was started in 2014 by someone with one post so you might not get a response Enri... 

The OP Mr, Greenstream is active on this forum, has 245 posts by now so he might be around for a chat . . . . . . . 

• 2 weeks later...