12v portable compressors revisited

Ian Barrett

After fitting an Anderson connector under the bonnet last week I went to fit a connector to my 12v compressor to find it's been nicked out of the back of the Landy in the last couple of weeks.

When I bought it 18 months ago Tmax were all the rage but having a look for a replacement the reviews of their longevity aren't good.

My old compressor was one of the unbadged twin pump versions like the Britpart ones, which I got at Donnington because all the TMax ones were sold, but it seemed bloody good for the limited amount of use I got out of it before it was nicked.

This is strictly an in-car tool for filling the tyre if I get a puncture. I have a 150l compressor in the garage if I need proper air :-)

Is there is an alternative and reliable unit around the 100 quid mark?

Do I take the bad reviews I've seen with a pinch of salt and get the Tmax Adventurer Heavy Duty, or stick with the Britpart double pump

Thanks for your help.

Ian

I've had / have both the britpart twin and the t-max, and to my experience they are equally good value. Have had no problems except for one of the heads working loose on the t-max, but this has happened twice in about 5 years! :D I'd buy the britpart twin again no hesitation. Although of course I now much prefer to use my air on pump. But both my t-max and britpart were driving lockers along with filling tyres after offroading. So have seen quite some use

Another vote for the at Tmax / Britpart twin cylinder compressor. I removed all the nasty plastic casing and sprayed it black - it looks much better now! The switch died within seconds of the first use - so it was bypassed. Since then it has been faultless!

I've mostly used it for inflating tyres - two of mine have very slow punctures that nobody has succeeded in fixing - so I'm resigned to pumping them up every couple of weeks!

Si

Thanks for the reports chaps, it helped hugely and yesterday I bought the tmax ba2663 at the Chatsworth show.

The only issue was It weighs a ruddy ton and after getting home I found it cheaper with free delivery. I don't really mind paying a bit more but the galling thing is I needn't have carted it the full length of the show ground and the car park after all.

At least I can get the Anderson connector on it today and stop worrying about having a puncture.