MIG torch light

elbekko

Does anyone know where to get a MIG torch light in the UK/mainland Europe? I can only find them in the US, and shipping + import duties is a bit over the top :/

One of these things: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Mig-Welder-Welding-Torch-LED-Light-/361027134615

Additionally, does anyone have experience with these? It seems very useful, as I'm always trying to get a lamp to shine on the workpiece, and that isn't always that easy.

I assume you have an auto darkening mask?

If you're struggling for light once your arc is going, have a look for an adjustable mask.

Yeah, it's auto darkening. My problem isn't seeing while the arc is going, more seeing before the arc is going. And sometimes when I do manage to get a lamp positioned I manage to move my head in front of it, the lamp shines into the mask and boom no more auto-darkening and some mild blindness.

The mask may not be the greatest, it's borrowed from a friend (as is the welder), and I don't use it enough to justify spending £150+ on a mask.

ISTR this topic coming up before, but perhaps on a different forum (I haven't searched).

Advert image $_57.JPG

Having just looked at the image in the advert, my memory was triggered to the extent that I recall some people saying they clipped one of the modern LED torches to the gun. What I don't recall is the detail, a couple of turns of plastic tape, or one of these fancy modern retainers, used to hold tools to bulkheads.

If a search in this forum is not fruitful I bet the MIG Welding Forum will have covered the topic.

Working outside, whether on a workmate style bench or half under a car, I have also suffered from light shining in the back of an auto-darkening mask.

HTH

I've found a few topics of people creating their own, but I'd have to buy a new flashlight for it anyway since I don't want to risk any of my current good ones :P So why not something that fits without additional fabrication?

Had one of those, and while it worked, it was very good for what it cost. However, the slightest bit of spatter on the lens destroyed it. Probably ok for fab work with good metal, but not so good with metal with any rust....

Had one of those, and while it worked, it was very good for what it cost. However, the slightest bit of spatter on the lens destroyed it. Probably ok for fab work with good metal, but not so good with metal with any rust....

That'd be my concern, especially welding up side down. Though a disposable cover might be an option.

Hi.

I have used an led lenser p3 torch to help see when welding.

It's small enough and not bulky, tape or cable tie it to the welder torch. I have on plenty of occasions been able to hold it in the other hand between my fingers while holding the work piece.

On/off switch and it takes a triple A battery which last a long time.

ISTR this topic coming up before, but perhaps on a different forum (I haven't searched).

Advert image $_57.JPG

Having just looked at the image in the advert, my memory was triggered to the extent that I recall some people saying they clipped one of the modern LED torches to the gun. What I don't recall is the detail, a couple of turns of plastic tape, or one of these fancy modern retainers, used to hold tools to bulkheads.

If a search in this forum is not fruitful I bet the MIG Welding Forum will have covered the topic.

Working outside, whether on a workmate style bench or half under a car, I have also suffered from light shining in the back of an auto-darkening mask.

HTH

I got one of those for Christmas a year or two back. I haven't used it much yet though.

I have to agree that it's when you're under a wheelarch that such a light is most useful, and yes, that is when it is most at risk from spatter.

I think Si's use of a Maglite is probably best - the metal body might resist the spatter better.