Winch cab wiring/switches/remote controller

What is preferred set up for winch control switches on the dash/interior. An on/off and a mom/off/mom or two off/mom one for wind in and the other for spool out ? Pros and cons ? Any one got a wiring diagram

I'm looking at hard wiring my 8274 and also thinking of getting a remote and doing away with the wired winch controller thoughts?

Any recommendations for remotes some eBay ones look a bit cheap?

I use an on/off to energise the isolator solenoid and power the winch controls (both internal and external). I then have mom off mom for internal winch control.

On our overland vehicle with a single winch with air operated freespool I use an off/on/on for the isolator with the second position operating the freespool.

I have an on/off/on which I use to select off, inside controls or outside controls then on both the inside and outside I have mom/off/mom for in and out. For the inside I have carling switches, for the outside I just bolted the wander lead supplied to the grill.

The reason I have this is my old winch had 4 individual solenoid contacts so if someone pressed in on one switch and out on another if would effectively short the battery. For the same reason I wouldn't use 2 off/mom switches, one for in and one for out.

I would also think about the switch position, I put mine on the dash with enough space so you can press them individually with a glove on but I think they would be better to the right of the steering wheel or near the gear stick as it's not natural to drive and winch with your arm stretched right out in my opinion. It also makes it hard

To look out the window etc.

It'd be nice to have the switch on the gear stick :)

My levers are right next to the auto gear stick. It's a lot easier to run.

Only one winch is on the dash, because we have lodar radio-remote and Terry Winchman normally operates it. The on-off is next to the direction switch and has a flip over cover thing like a gunner switch. It's the same plastic-box as the diff locks and is a bit of a reach if you need to hold it in. On the diff locks you jab them with a finger and then get back to driving. I suppose it's how long you spend operating something that depends where it should go? Shame the wheel centre isn't static like the citron car :D

They say the ebay ones are good. I had a maplins garage door controller and it just couldn't do the voltage drops. I went Lodar because it functions like something that cost a wodge. If you have line-of-sight I recon a low cost radio remote will be okay :)

I've got a large pile of wiring and switches ready to go in at a suitable point in the rebuild...

Consisting of a mom-off-mom for each of the two wiches and 1 isolation switch which powers the control switches inside and outside. I've got a waterproof toggle switch front and rear to go outside, Both of these will be on separate plugs so they can be isolated completely from the internal controls incase they get damaged. The winches will be isolated themselves by the massive isolator on the front of the battery box. Switches will be located on the front of the cubby box.

I chose Mom-off-Mom switches so there was no chance of a winch solenoid being powered in both directions at once.

Ok thanks guys think I'll go for an on-off toggle switch with "flip up aircraft cover" and a mom-off-mom to power winch in and out.

The Gigglepin free spool came with flip up aircraft cover switch so i will fit that also.

As for location I'll put them somewhere on my centre console near to my ARB switches which sit just behind the auto leaver as don't want to be stretching for them at a key moment.

I would say I am mechanically minded not electrically minded so all this advice gratefully received.

This summer I wired incab switches for the winch doing the same as the others have said. I was lucky to find the momentum switches at 70% off at the local hardware store. 2 mom/off switches with mom/off/on switch.

post-194-0-30000000-1409824987_thumb.jpg

The icon stickers were downloaded form the internet. I sent them to a local printers who inverted the colors so that they are reverse of the originals.

switch_relabel_icons.pdf

Easy to wire in, common ground to all switches. Power to the main switch (fused), then from that switch power leads to the control switches. The control switches are then wired into the albright winch control.

post-194-0-99649900-1409825155_thumb.jpg

Todd.

Is that a fuse on the +ve control feed ?

I'm about to wire up an albright too - though the diagram that came with mine has no fuses in it.

On the net I've seen the positive drawn from the main positive feed into the solenoid - which would make a 3 core cable suitable to run it back to in car switches.

I have a small wireless controller and my plan is to wire that up and the dash switches in this way :

post-10144-0-98708200-1409842540_thumb.jpg

I was going to use the wander lead, as I rather like it, but I guess it's somewhat redundant with a wireless controller.

I ran the wander lead 3 core cable to the cab and back to the grill then split the cable at the dash for the dash switches. I even copied the red for power and green for action LEDs onto the dash so I know which switches are live and if it should be doing something. That way I didn't have to open up the winch and if I want to remove it I can just unplug the wander lead plug. Obviously only works if the solenoid is part of the winch.

The isolators kept giving up on me (I like it near the battery and easily accessible) and the only better ones I could find were the very expensive marine ones so in the end I just got a big anderson connector, made a loop in the wire so now if you want to isolate it you just yank the loop and it unplugs the connector and cuts the power.

Just put them in the wrong place :/

DSC00088.jpg

Photo0128.jpg

994879_10151747512983624_1665371639_n.jp

A looped Anderson worked excellent for Robot wars and was virtually the official method :)

Here is my dash with the linked cut offs. The left red key was replaced with a big T handle one pretty quick. Once you have the contacts give out it makes sense to give up on the cheapies :) The gubbins' throws both at once to "disconnect the battery in one action". The smaller winch and difflock box is sot of mobile having trailing leads.

BeastDash1feb2011.jpg

I can second the thought of placing the switch on the gearlever. I have had the switch (a switch from a electric window) for my winch this way for many years and it gives you a lot of freedom in the cab. The switch have been made redundant though but I so miss it from time to time.

Mads