4.0 MS Install - Questions

ThreePointFive

• 1 month later...

How did you get on with the DB37?

Like you i had such a horrible time with it, i ended up sourcing crimp type plugs. For belt and braces security i melted a little solder to each crimp before adding the heatshrink.

For the life of me though i cant remember where i got the crimp type DB37 connectors, but they do make life easy. The only thing that you must have are GOOD QUALITY crimpers. Cheapos just wont give a professional crimp. I invested in Hozan crimpers as i made a custom vehicle harness so had lots of crimps to do.

I have to admit defeat, it's just too fildly and I can't guarantee I'm not going to short the lot, so in fact today I was looking to make a purchase from a certain well known V8 Megasquirt site of one pre-wired D37.

Are these crimpable connectors the ones on this page, third item down from the restrictor plates? http://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/ms_optional.php

Nige - order incoming either way for some restrictor plates and a few other things. I'm going to be sending my crank pulley to you, could just bundle it into one package for the return to save you time?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

I've searched and found no definitive answer to this: do I need a Fuel Pressure Regulator? That is to say, the disc-looking chap that sits at the end of the fuel rail on the return line?

All results I can find are talking (normally at cross purposes) about the Pressure Relief Valve, which is not the same thing.

I was certain from Nige's manual that it says to cut off the nut that secures it to the rail (but in my version it doesn't actually explicitly say what the nut is for, though there is only one so not hard to work out). I was confident in this until I saw that Mr Fridge's build has it installed.

Also noted on Fridge's build and something I like the idea of is the in-line filter on the return  line to see quantity/quality of fuel going through but I need to find out where I stand on the regulator before I make any more changes to the fuel system.

Edited by ThreePointFive

Yes, you need a pressure reg, other wise you're injectors will see either zero or 100PSI, which is no good at all.

Not sure what nige is referring to when cutting a nut off.... I would ignore it or post a photo of it here for clarification :)

Could the "nut" being referred to actually be the union on the fuel rail which you would use to connect the factory pipework to? If you are fitting rubber fuel line with hoseclips then that needs to be removed so that the fuel hose can be pushed on. 

I found the page. Its not on the return line as I'd guessed from memory but that is the nut I removed about two years ago following my interpretation of that instruction and the only one I had anywhere near that location.

There is no other way to connect the regulator so I'm a little concerned now. I'm sure there's something glaringly obvious as to how I've misinterpreted it, but at the moment I can't see what else it would be talking about.

20170409_115826_zps975gyldc.jpg

Aye, I don't think the regulator goes on that nut and yes you do need one unless you are driving a later Thor P38 which I believe has the regulator in the fuel tank/pump assembly.

Maybe these will help:

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

This chappy (Early P38) I believe is to smooth out pressure fluctuations:

IMG_2762.JPG

Having problems uploading pictures from mobile, but the bit I was referring to is the one in FFs last photo. I was operating under the impression that is the pressure regulator and the thing on the nearside rear of the plenum is the relief valve.

Seems yet again I've made a tit of myself. Regardless, do I need that thing, because it's going to be a tad challenging to refit.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

So if the FPR is the PRV.... Wish I'd worked that out before I posted. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, I guess it must be like trying to teach a monkey astrophysics.

So here is a picture of what I've got, minus the weird disc thing on the inlet rail.

20170416_150734_zpsbspnwchg.jpg

FPR sitting in there somewhere...

20170416_150720_zpsrwijgr2f.jpg

Filter idea not at all stolen from Fridge's build...:ph34r:

Edited by ThreePointFive