Ashtree Bulkheads- Thoughts?

Hi all, I was just wondering what other people's experiences of Ashtree land rovers is like.

I placed an order a long while ago for a bulkhead for my 90, specifying a 1985 dash with the transmission tunnel for an R380 to fit my engine/gearbox swap project/rebuild.

So, lead time was about 8 weeks they said, ultimately after a lot of chasing I would estimate it to have been at least double that. That said they were very polite on the phone.

The bulkhead arrived the other day, and to be honest I am pretty disappointed.

Every flat panel is warped, likely due to the heat of the galvanising, there are blank holes where riv-nuts should be, and riv-nuts that have not been re tapped, they have just been drilled ready to be tapped and left as is. The finish is of 'farm gate' standard as is probably expected. Around the drain channel where the bonnet buts up to the bulkhead, there is a line where the galvanising hasn't even got, probably due to whatever was left on the bulkhead when it was sent to be dipped. Pretty much every straight edge, notably around the footwells and transmission tunnel as well as the very top of the bulkhead where the top of the dash attaches is bent and as wavy as heck. basically it is not, IMO in a 'customer ready' condition.

I did try and start straightening it out, but i gave up after looking at how much was wrong with it. I'm going to give them a ring on Monday and see what they have to say on the matter.

Any opinions are welcome, Thanks

I can't comment on Ashtree but what you describe is pretty typical of a galv'd bulkhead. Most of the wavy edges straighten out as you attach the floor and transmission panels, as does the top dash mount area. Retapping the rivnuts is a pain, probably the most hated job I had on my rebuild, access to some of them is restrictive to say the least.

I had a local firm dip my td5 bulkhead and braced the lower feet as suggested by most of those on here who have had theirs done to save any twisting. My finish was quite good, although a fair amount of prep was required for a paint ready surface.

I saw them and spoke to them at the Stoneleigh show about 4 years ago(?), was not impressed. The galvanizing did look 'farm gate' standard, and so did the repair work. Their brochures said they chopped out all the rot and replaced it, but the SII bulkhead they had on show was a patchwork quilt of over-plating. There's a galvenizers Walsall way who's done a few bulkhead's for people I know and they've been very happy with them, the trick is not to cool it too quick apparently. I will be repairing my own bulkhead and taking it to them.

I had my own bulkhead galvanised and it wasn't a big deal while being a massive saving over the cost of a recon / galvanised one.

Delivery / collection, prep plus galvanising was £147 inc VAT and that was for nearly 20-items including side-bars, battery-box etc.

Ok, my bulkhead wasn't very old and being 100% rust-free there were no repairs to be done.

I braced it across the bottom using some box-section, I also drilled several extra holes in all of the box-sections so that whatever angle it went in at the air was not trapped. I photographed it from every angle and made a drawing showing every hole c/w measurements (the smaller ones get filled with galv). I also removed the mesh from the vents, this was bonded back into place afterwards. Most threaded holes had a bolt inserted and studs had a series of nuts wound on tightly so there was minimal re-tapping to be carried out.

There was an issue where the galvaniser damaged the footwell but that was straightened and the bulkhead re-dipped (at galvanisers expense). Yes most flat panels were distorted to a certain extent but this doesn't show when fitted and the main structure is completely straight. Most awkward items were the vent-flap pivots, these were a pig to clean out however having now done mine I could do another in a fraction of the time.

All in all I am very happy with the outcome. I didn't have it painted and it has been over a year now but it still hasn't dulled down.

I've used Ashtree, they were brilliant.

Yes you pay for it, but they took on the job - I gave them my bulkhead and they had it returned to me in a few weeks. Very professional, very helpful and a great company to deal with.

All the holes were drilled, all the rivnuts fitted, no work for me to do. The finish of the surface...well, it's galvanised. If you don't want a galvanised finish, don't galvanise it. The actual panels on mine seem fine, very little distortion.

To cap it all off, this bulkhead had been galvanised by a local one for £100 prior to Ashtree being given it - basically a total **** up by that firm who said they knew best despite my advice on bracing it, the prep, etc. Came back in a condition I can't believe they charged me for, and they covered themselves by telling me it could be a bad job prior to dipping it - didn't mean they had to make it a bad job though.

Lesson learnt, if you want it done properly then get someone who knows what they're doing, either a good galvaniser who you trust and have SEEN examples of their work, or I recommend Ashtree 100%.

Ashtree salvaged my shot bulkhead towards the end of last year. They also repaired and galvanised my sills and b-pillar for me.

Overall, Im pleased with the work, although it did take about 4 months but they did warn me they were busy/moving locations etc and an inadvertent handling dent to a b-pillar mean that had to be re worked and took another couple of weeks.

The finish is farmgate, but I challenge anyone to produce galv much better. All panels ended up straight enough or pulled straight when floors/sills re-fitted.

It cost an arm and a leg, but it's my pride and joy and a wagon that will be there for me for decades to come.

All in all, they managed to take an absolutely shot bulkhead and give me back something which will outlast anything that rolls out of the LR factory today. I never got round to putting a rebuild thread up on here showing all the work, maybe I ought to sometime if its of interest to people.

But here's some pics of the bulkhead bits and a video to show the full horror of the state of it:

http://youtu.be/_eTkccX0Hhw

IMG_20130729_140712.jpgIMG_20131205_122018.jpgIMG_20131205_122030.jpgIMG_0252.JPG

Hi,

Just thought you might be interested in my experience of Ashtree. Sent them my Series 2 bulkhead for repair and galvanising last summer. Turn around time was about 3 times longer than quoted. The quality of the work, particularly the welding, was so bad that I am having to put in a new door post to replace the old one that they used to patch repair mine. You can still see the paint on the inside of the door post which has just been galvanised over. For the money they charge, I assumed that I would be getting brand new door posts, not second-hand.

Why haven't I gone back to Ashtree with this? - quite simply I don't trust the quality of their work, they take for ever and in fact even lost one of my panels that I had given them for galvanising.

Now I have taught myself to do sheet metal welding with an Oxford welder, a fantastic machine which produces far better work than what I paid through the nose for.

Over the next few days, I will post some photos, so you can make your own minds up.

• Like 1

I've seen their work. It's farm gate - hot dip galv of pressed structures can be.

Having seen their work I decided that when it came to doing my own bulkheads, I will get them hot zinc sprayed.

It's a less brutal process, but doesn't get the inside of the various box sections. But Dinotrol or Waxoil will take care of that for me.

It's also a superb surface for painting, being keyed for paint. I figure a high build zinc primer and then good paint on top it will last as long as hot dipped work, without the distortion.

I'll get the cappings and bumpers zinc dipped, but only for the look.

G.

I'm stuggling with what to do at the moment. I have sourced a bulkhead, fully repaired and sound for decent money. I'm leaning towards getting it shot blasted and hot dip galved. But a few of the stories about warping are making me wonder if that's the best thing to do. Zinc spraying outside sorts the outside, but I'm just not convinced about Dinitrol/Waxoyl on the inside. Once replaced, I don't want to do another one.

Litch, i dont think you are too far from me - any details of the company you used? You seemed happy with their job?

These are pics of mine just fresh from the galvanisers

274D864A-B9F7-4C29-B94E-2AE565BB790A_zps

77EF4886-4F73-465F-BAC4-E7C6992A4AA3_zps

BABCBAE6-D4D2-4380-B54E-DE2C735B297C_zps

You can just about make out the twist on the footwells. These straighten out no problem after fitting the floor plates. The inner surface (behind the dash panel) became slightly wavy but didn't affect dash fitment. The top panel to which the crash pad fixes also distorted a little but easily straightened by hand and the crash pad/air vents refitted with no issues. I drilled holes where I wanted extra rivnuts as well as some extra drain holes on the box section under the drip tray. My only gripe with the dip process was down to where I fixed the brace along the bottom. I welded a lifting eye on each end but they appeared to have only used one, this led to a thick stream of zinc just at the top drivers side bulkhead corner (that side will never rust!)

I'm glad I did it and thought long and hard prior to doing it. It cost £60 inc vat from Highland Galvanisers just outside Glasgow. The finish was acceptable for a galv coat, this company deal with lots of architectural stuff and not just heavy industrial stuff so that may have been a factor in the finished product

Looked great once prepped and painted.

f99327c34c9e17a6dcf3149519bb328c_zpsa5fd

618b6235d18b2ea31e7e58855045309f_zps583c

That does look like a nice finish. Did the top bar that the windscreen frame sits on bow? It looks it from the third photo, but that might just be the pic. I suppose it doesnt matter if with some mild persuasion its all fitted back together ok.

Does the galv get into those 'strengthening' ribs on the footwell panels?

Got mine from ghound, and he threw in some galv'd brackets too. Repairs were good and the galv seemed great too with no obvious warping. Paid £500 I think and it was delivered from Ireland very quickly.

3 years later i've no regrets at all

Hi, further to last post, here are pictures of Ashtree's bulkhead

and below are pictures of my front panel which I welded with my Oxford welder, showing the rotten piece which was cut out at the bottom of the picture.

This was my first attempt at sheet metal welding and lead loading. It took time and patience (about a day's work).

It's not as hard as the so-called professionals would have you believe and I would encourage anyone to have a go, saving shed loads of money in the process.

Good luck

I saw Ashtree at Billing (or was it Peterborough) last year. .................

I couldnt believe how cr*p the welding and standard of work was on the items they were showing, and this was a SHOW !

I have has at least ten bulkeads done over the years, and yes, they do ripple on the flat surfaces, and yes, you will get galv in threads etc, and the bulkhead "legs" close up, which will need stretcthing to fit the chassis, but other than that it is not worth NOT having it done.

The key for a good galv finish is to insist on "slow withdrawal" which will minimise big blobs and "icicles"

No way would I use Ashtree though. Not from what I have seen

• Like 1

Is it possible to get a good paint finish on a galvanised bulkhead on the bits that show?

Yes absolutely. Provided the galvanizing has been done well.

Unless you are after a mirror finish worthy of a show winning custom car, I doubt if anyone would even notice !

I have left the bulkhead natural on my 90, it matches the bumper , and sideguards and chassis . Its painted metallic grey so looks sort of a two tone scheme :unsure: I did mine (prep) myself , including the welding . I then had it bead blasted . Then it was done by a galvanising firm in the west midlands about 50 miles away , i took it and collected it . I asked that it be extra dipped, and inquired about possibility of warpage , they said that it wouldnt be a problem as they had done quite a few , and a lot is caused by how quickly it is heated and cooled . Sure enough it was as good as when they got it , The only pita part was cleaning out the dash vent tubes.

Is it possible to get a good paint finish on a galvanised bulkhead on the bits that show?

All comes down to prep and patience. I took time ensuring the visible areas (a-pillars and bulkhead corners) were as smooth as possible. A few coats of primer followed by a few layers of paint soon smooths the finish. My paint looks better than our 110s non-galv bulkhead finish