Galvanised bulkheads Yes or No!!

gruntus

Bulkheads are a pain as they're so central to the structure of the vehicle, and most of the vehicle systems are attached to it.

That said, I reckon it could be done in a long day if everything went to plan and you had a bod or two to help out. The wings will need to come off obviously. Plus the floors/tunnel, doors and windscreen/frame. Roof can be left on, though you might need to loosen/remove the bolts into the top of the B-pillars to allow the front to raise just enough to get the windscreen/frame forward and out. If you had everything and didn't hit any issues (stuck/broken bolts, unexpected chassis corrosion, broken brake/pipe lines etc.) then as I say I reckon it's a good day's unbolting/rebolting.

If I were to do it I'd set a weekend aside, and preferably source a dressed-up bulkhead so that (after it had been stripped down, galved, and built back up) would save me a lot of time and also leave me with plenty of spare things like steering columns, dash components, wiring, pedal boxes, etc. etc.

Ghound is a genius with a welder... I've seen some of his repair work on his threads here in Ireland and its truly amazing... If he can't do it in steel no one can.

If you're looking for a replacement bulkhead you could do a lot worse than to drop him a line anyway!!

Just my 2 cents

Mat

it's pretty straightforward to change, I have done 3 now and have always lifted out as complete as possible, swapped the bits over off the car then replace it, to do this you need at least 2 big friends as the fully dressed bulkheads are heavy and extremely awkward to manoeuvre!

Thanks guys.
I've kept the link. Next year some time I might have the money.

So if you reckon a weekend. I'll look to a month at my age......

Just to add. My right hand front inner wing is well bent. Is that attatcheched to the bulkhead ?

• 5 years later...

Dragging an old thread up. 

I am prepping my bulkhead for galv. Had it shy blasted and welded up. But what does everyone do about seam sealer as mine has a lot on it. It will be a pain to scrape it all off. Will the acid dip get rid of all of this? I hope it is as it will save me a big job.

Also if any other holes need to be drilled where have people drilled them etc.

thanks 

8 hours ago, Jon W said:

I am prepping my bulkhead for galv. Had it shy blasted and welded up. But what does everyone do about seam sealer as mine has a lot on it. It will be a pain to scrape it all off. Will the acid dip get rid of all of this? I hope it is as it will save me a big job.

thanks 

I bought a galv bulkhead earlier this year that was etch primed aswell, not got round to fitting it yet but not for off just need to get it painted first :)

8 hours ago, Jon W said:

thanks 

Scrape as much off as possible, the blasting should've got most of it out and the acid dip won't clear it all off...this results in black residue patches where the galv hasn't taken. A blow torch and a selection of old screwdrivers and scrapers to get into the nooks and crannies helps. I drilled a couple of extra holes on the underside of the drip panel...just to allow it to flow through (or at least that was the theory and has worked well with my last two). There seems to a be a load of sealer in the corners above the footwells and at the gearbox tunnel aperture. The more effort you put in to cleaning it will result in a better job from the galvanisers 

Remove anything that can be mechanically removed and drill some extra holes in double skinned areas, pockets, etc.

The modern acids aren't as good as the old ones - those were really scary.. - and the galvanizers will be able to do a good job.

We did the Series about 30 years ago and still in perfect shape

Having recently fitted mine I would say that it is handy to have holes drilled in places that will allow you to get a cavity wax lance inside the various cavities when you fit the galvanised unit.

You can never have too much protection against the dreaded rot.

I have attacked most of it with the Grinder to get it off, good idea about the blow torch, I will get some more gas for mine as really it is only the corners above the footwells which need a bit more attention.

will drill a few more holes also

Once galved I will t wash. Then what paint have people used for a good finish? I am guessing high build primer of some sort to smooth it off a bit? Then was going to go 2 pack