Arghhhhhh Alternator help now please (V8)

Hybrid_From_Hell

I have done a few 4.2 convertion and I have spliced to much later 4.2 engine hernese into the much older A and B reg 90's and 110's and its all the same colours just diffrant size cables and plugs.

2.5 petrol taken 65amp out and 4.2 100amp fitted.

If I can do it so can your Cat it's that simple using off the shelf parts from later RR's.

DEAR GOD ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH :huh:

Just finished for the day.

Now have nice 90 amp alternator on now a......nd FINALLY working, ...

NOT a simple nuts and bolts jobbie as I thought, .........but neat and powerfull enough for what I want none the less.

Will do a write up if people are interested,

but off now for a chinky with my mate.... (who solved the burning smell we had from it when it was started up)..............

yer learn something every day.....well I do from him thats for sure :lol:

Nige

Pete - how much is the Premier Power one? 120A for £15 at the scrappy or an extra 10A for how much extra wonga?

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :P

DE-NILE is a river in africa like you think a LR 120 amp alternator gives out that much :hysterical:

Maybe at 16k revs down hill @ Xmas with a following wind <_<:blush:

Thats what i had on mine before but winching at night with all the lights on etc & at low revs the batterys & alternator failed miserably :angry:

With the new 1 at ticker over the volt-meter just drops for a second then sits back at 13/14 volts :D

But hey stick with the £10 second hand 1 if your happy & as youve got a hydraulic winch then your be fine anyway :D

AS to 24v still not convinced think i will go hydraulic if it gets to that extent :blink:

Slightly off subject why cant i run 2x 12v batterys to give me 24v to my winches instead of running 24v alternator etc ??????

Pete: Who said anything about a LR alternator? Current one is off a Merc Sprinter but is identical to a Mondeo one - 45A at idle / 90A full chat. I'd never trust a LR one and anyway all the chequebook boys snap those up for big bucks because they are bolt-on :lol: Dad's running a Ford Cosworth alt on his, that actually was a straight bolt-on. :rolleyes:

24v - you'll need two 12v batteries AND a 24v alternator if you go 24v, only having one or the other will probably result in a small fire, followed by a large fire :ph34r:

What he said - it's not worth mucking round with genuine parts bits of wire like that as they're only ever going to be the thinnest/cheapest they can get away with. A decent bit of fat cable will improve matters greatly - just like you've found with your engine earths ;)

Welding cable is much more flexi than the usual battery cable or the stuff VWP sell and the insulation tends to be thicker as it's designed for more abuse.

Theres another way to go 24V with a std 12v altenator - Have the 2 bats in parallel for charging and series for winching. It would require 3 relays (high current).

Then all of the other electrics can stay as they are.

Theres another way to go 24V with a std 12v altenator - Have the 2 bats in parallel for charging and series for winching. It would require 3 relays (high current).

Then all of the other electrics can stay as they are.

THATS WHAT I WAS ASKING Fridge ??????

Any comments on this ??

It works in theory... practically at the very least you need to make sure the relays switch in turn otherwise you could end up with some nasty momentary shorts.

Also while winching presumably if you have a 12V alt then you're only charging one battery as the other one is floating "on top" of that, so one battery is getting 100A of charge, the other is being wound flat by the winch and getting nothing back. This does not make for happy batteries, when you switch them back they will then try to equalise the voltage and you'll effectively be jump-starting one battery through a relay. Given the winch setup you're running and the potential for drawing 500A+ for a significant time you're gonna need some frickin' big relays.

I can see the whole cycle getting a bit tedious:

Drive along

Get stuck

Switch to "winch mode"

Winch till the "top" battery is flat

Switch back to "drive mode"

"Drive" battery then dumps a sh*tload of charge into the flat battery

Sit there waiting for both batteries to recover/recharge

Switch back to "winch mode"

Winch a bit more

Etc.

There is the issue that if you wind the setup down so one (top) battery is dead flat and the other is just about clinging on 'cos it has the alternator keeping it charged, then you switch back to "drive mode", suckng the last life out of the drive battery, both will end up proper flat and you're then sat dead in a puddle with two flat batteries :(

I can't imagine this is going to be much good for either battery, and I'm sure there was some story out there about someone running a similar setup who ended up with a battery under the seat exploding :blink:

We need Bull Bar Cowboy to explain it with big words really :D

It works in theory[/i

I can see the whole cycle getting a bit tedious:

Drive along

Get stuck

Switch to "winch mode"

Winch till the "top" battery is flat

Switch back to "drive mode"

"Drive" battery then dumps a sh*tload of charge into the flat battery

Sit there waiting for both batteries to recover/recharge

Switch back to "winch mode"

Winch a bit more

Etc.

sounds almost as slow as winching with a hydraulic winch, i did say 'almost' :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: