Taking off V8 valve springs with the heads on

elbekko

I want to replace the valve stem seals on my 4.6 (in hopes of cutting down on oil consumption a little). I've read a guide a while back that says it's possible to do this with the heads still on, just put some string into the spark plug hole and move the piston to TDC.

But I probably need a spring compressor tool. Would one of these do?

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Bergen-BER5575-Pro-Overhead-Valve-Spring-Compressor-/111442413328?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19f27c4710

Or this Sealey one that's a bit more expensive but does look a bit sturdier:

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Sealey-VS160-Valve-Spring-Compressor-OHV-/300775450169?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item46079d2639

I did this myself not so long ago on the 109.

I bought an adapter that screws into the plug hole & takes a compressed air feed, it worked brilliantly (you need to keep it pressurised).

I didn't have a valve spring tool but I'd probably buy myself one if I had to do it again.

Haven't does this mysel but the Sealy add does say it is for use with a compressed air adaptor as per the last post.

To be honest the idea of stuffing loads of string into eight spark plugs one at a time could take longer than taking off the heads?

I did this myself not so long ago on the 109.

I bought an adapter that screws into the plug hole & takes a compressed air feed, it worked brilliantly (you need to keep it pressurised).

I didn't have a valve spring tool but I'd probably buy myself one if I had to do it again.

Sounds interesting. Sounds like it could work, and if it didn't, I'd know the rings are shot (compression test says not...).

How'd you do it without the tool?

Haven't does this mysel but the Sealy add does say it is for use with a compressed air adaptor as per the last post.

To be honest the idea of stuffing loads of string into eight spark plugs one at a time could take longer than taking off the heads?

Good spot, hadn't seen that. But I suppose it doesn't really matter what method you use to keep the valves up.

Taking off the heads would be a fair bit more work, and when I'm that far into the engine I'd want to do a proper rebuild, and I haven't got the budget for that.

User rope :P

I find a pickle-fork type ball joint splitter works quite well in these instances...

Well yes, rope, string, whatever :D

The balljoint splitter we have at the shop is a bit too sizeable for the valve springs I'm afraid.

I have one of those, never used it on the v8 but it worked a treat on the SJ. On the SJ you needed to make sure the valve didn't fall into the cylinder which some people do by feeding rope in through the plug hole but I bought an adaptor that screws into the plug hole that you hook up to your compressor so that the air pressure holds the valve shut.

EDIT: started to type that some time ago but got a phone call and only just remembered to post... after everyone else had... :unsure:

Sounds interesting. Sounds like it could work, and if it didn't, I'd know the rings are shot (compression test says not...).

How'd you do it without the tool?

You just turn the engine until the valves close & then pressurise it, you'd have to have a hell of a shot ring for it to leak enough that your compressor couldn't keep up!

I did the springs with a combination of ring spanners, screwdrivers, prybars, swearing, and a metal bar drilled & bolted in place of the rocker shaft (using some scrap bolts) to lever against. I really would buy the tool if I had to do it again though.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-36200-Keeper-Remover-Installer/dp/B000P0ZJIS

one of those is what you want. great bit of kit for use on bench or on engine! i made an adaptor out of an old spark plug for the airline when i had to do a set of seals.

Strange thing. And pretty damn spendy too :blink: Especially with shipping added in.

That does look easy. And like black magic.

I did indeed find that one. Price initially looks ok, and then you look at the shipping cost. And the customs cost (which is a low estimate probably). And then it's suddenly a fair bit more expensive :unsure: